73 scamp manual box advice needed

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
Hello fabo.
Changing box from ps to manual steering.
Gear box sent to me from rbld shop is substantially smaller.
Old steering shaft doesn't reach new box.
Steering shaft splines on manual box are larger than ps gear box. (So if it did reach it wouldn't fit anyways)

? Do I have the wrong box?
? Is there an adapter to go from small to large splines on steering shaft?

Please advise...thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-17-22-03-52.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_2014-08-17-22-04-35.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_2014-06-20-13-42-50.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 89
you are correct...manual steering box is different....

the steering column shaft on manual steering are usually 3 inches longer...there is an adapter ...made by flaming river...

the splines are different also...

All manual steering boxes are the same physical size, and are much smaller than the power steering units. What you have there is a Mopar manual steering box.

All manual steering boxes use a longer steering shaft. If you're switching from power to manual, you either need to get a manual steering shaft and swap yours out, or buy an adaptor like the one below. And yes, the manual steering coupler has larger splines on it than a power steering coupler.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mamastad.html

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like you may actually have a manual steering box out of a later van. The box is the same size as the earlier ones, so that doesn't change the issues with the steering shaft. But if it is off of a later van it has a larger sector shaft, which could cause another issue when you try to install your new pitman arm. Explanation and photo's over at big block dart...

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/steeringbox.shtml

you are correct...manual steering box is different....

the steering column shaft on manual steering are usually 3 inches longer...there is an adapter ...made by flaming river...

the splines are different also...

Fantastic. I am stoked to find this out. My project can continue on. I will be contacting flaming river.
Many thanks!

Darrell

72 blunblu thank you also. I will check out the links you posted as well as check sector shaft issue. I assume sector shaft is the output for the pitman arm. Clearly, I am learning as I go.
Hopefully I dont have pitman arm issue.

I'm grateful for the shared knowledge.

Darrell

-
Back