73 vs 74 duster wiring harness

-

Dk.03

Reaction score
What are the main differences to look out for when installing a 74 duster wiring harness into a 73 duster? As well as how to bypass stuff like the interlock system.

You really need to go over the wiring diagram as well as continuity check them

The most obvious differences that I have found relate to the seat belt/Starting system. There is that relay with the reset button that is near the left inner fender, the wiring and master plug inside near the instrument cluster, the seats and sensors in them as well as the seat belts themselves.

Are you using the engine harness or the dash harness or both.

The most obvious differences that I have found relate to the seat belt/Starting system. There is that relay with the reset button that is near the left inner fender, the wiring and master plug inside near the instrument cluster, the seats and sensors in them as well as the seat belts themselves.
do you happen to know how to bypass any of this like the seat belt sensor?

do you happen to know how to bypass any of this like the seat belt sensor?
I may have write about it in a notebook here somewhere. I think I disconnected the wires associated with the seat belt system and it was enough to defeat it.

I ran mine for years with the seatbelt connection disconnected.

Since then I have rewired my dash harness to use a different buzzer so it only buzzes with the ignition off and either the key in the switch or headlights on, when the door is open. I also removed the seatbelt interlock module and swapped two wires in the bulkhead connector so the start signal goes direct to the starter solenoid.

The yellow wire off the ignition switch splits in the harness and one goes to through the bulkhead connector to the emergency start relay (relay with the red button on the side) while the other goes to the interlock. There is a circuit off the interlock module that goes to the bulkhead connector and to the starter solenoid. I just swapped the two at the bulkhead connector and now my ignition switch connects to the starter relay like it should.

I can look up the pins later if you want, but don't have that in front of me right now.

Two spots on the 74 dash harness should be examined.
Ignition switch connectors and the fuse box need to be checked. These two locations often show signs of burning especially on cars with AC.

-
Back