74 360 to Roller Cam

-

mopar_mudder

Reaction score
Any good reads on converting a 1974 360 to Roller Cam?

I have done this on a 440 but never a small block. Anything needed other then the typical bronze drive gear and cam button?

Push rod clearance through the heads may need to be adressed.

no cam button...small blocks have a thrust plate
There's an adapter out there to adress this., and some aftermarket cams have it. Also the earlier pre-magnum roller engines still have it. I'm using a regrind from Oregon cams with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, doesn't sound too difficult then. Long time since I was into a small block.

This will be a hydraulic cam, don't want a solid in this one. I have had good lock with comp cams stuff on my big blocks.

If you're using using an aftermarket bullet cams you will also need a harden distributor drive gear, then again if you've used them before you probably already know this.

Why go to the expense of a roller set up and then decide hydraulic? I just don't understand why guys do this. It ain't like you have to adjust your valves every week or something......

Why go to the expense of a roller set up and then decide hydraulic? I just don't understand why guys do this. It ain't like you have to adjust your valves every week or something......

I do that. I get tired of replacing cam and lifter sets that don't break in right, and I don't need power to the nth.

Because I can. I have a solid roller Cam and know what it is like. Just not what I want for a normal street cruiser car. But I like the added performance of the roller Cam without having to go with a big duration.

how big a cam and what's your compression and usage?
best to use a roller lobe with an inverse flank radius
you may have to do a trial and clearance
5/6 or 3/8 pushrods
I know you are oiling through the shafts but using MagnumAMC lifters you can get some oil up the pushrods to oil the pushrod tips/ rockers- always a problem
stock or long valves?
plan on doing a mid lift geometry drill before ordering pushrods- your guides will thank you
do you have rockers? or what?

how big a cam and what's your compression and usage?
best to use a roller lobe with an inverse flank radius
you may have to do a trial and clearance
5/6 or 3/8 pushrods
I know you are oiling through the shafts but using MagnumAMC lifters you can get some oil up the pushrods to oil the pushrod tips/ rockers- always a problem
stock or long valves?
plan on doing a mid lift geometry drill before ordering pushrods- your guides will thank you
do you have rockers? or what?

I don't have anything yet, just in the thought stage right now. Engine is probably a year off or so, have the car on the rotisserie right now diassembleing it.

good
you also have to consider fuel pump lobe etc
take some pictures of the cam you take out
measure the piston deck on all four corners to see if the block is square
heads is a big decision

-
Back