74 /6 3 speed manual trans?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
Im still running my old standard slant six 3 speed manual floor shift trans with my 360.....dont know how it has held up but its doing pretty good. Anyway, I cant find ANY information on it whatsoever on the net. I am looking for a lower case gasket for it and cant find one anywhere. I cant even find out what the model of transmission is??? I couldnt seem to see any numbers on it the last time i looked either. Also is like any typical older three speed manual trans with two plugs on the trans case somewhere? (obviously one for drain and the other for fill) What would anyone recommend running for lube in it? Im going to drain it anyway for a new gasket...if i can even find one. Ive heard to run with 80-90 gear oil? Everyone just puts the 833 four speed in their cars, but hell this little trans has been holding up pretty darn good for a little old slant six trans. Any info would be appreciated, thanks Tate

Does you car still have the option tag on the fender? A decode might give more insight.
I think it is referred to as an A-230 3 speed, if memory serves.

Hey Tate. I run Mobil One synth gear oil and it's that 80 - 90 weight area. Heavy thick stuff. The 3 spd. tranny's are tuff enuff. they'll hold up preety good.

As far as a gasket goes, ask the auto parts store with the info of what the trans orignally came behind , in and year. That should help out alot. NO?

Theres Brewers and Passion for manual trannys. Give them a shot. Worst case, you make your own?

I think your right BTB.

Hey Tate. I run Mobil One synth gear oil and it's that 80 - 90 weight area. Heavy thick stuff. The 3 spd. tranny's are tuff enuff. they'll hold up preety good.

As far as a gasket goes, ask the auto parts store with the info of what the trans orignally came behind , in and year. That should help out alot. NO?

Theres Brewers and Passion for manual trannys. Give them a shot. Worst case, you make your own?

I think your right BTB.

Hey Rob
Alright, ill check into getting some mobil syn gear oil, ill check with a couple different parts stores tommorow but havent had any luck so far. I didnt even think of brewers or passion, i figured they only had 4 speed stuff but ill give em a ring if i cant find one here. I really dont want to make a gasket but i guess if i have too....is there any inparticular gasket maker that works better than others? thanks

Gasket material? Not that I know of.

what was the difference between the a250 and the a230?

Biggest difference would be a bit more capacity in the A250, though it wouldn't be much, and one was a shorter housing, can't remember which. Also, the cut of the gears and shafts was different in the helical pattern. Found that out the hard way a long way from home.

-
Back