74 Dart 360 Sport

-
8HP70 is looking like a possibility on the transmission choice. Turns out JVX makes an adapter plate and I can balance it accordingly. I can also get a transmission controller for use with it and the la 360. Will have to use HP tuner to get shifter points changed out a bit and enable the paddle shifter or floor version.

8HP70 is looking like a possibility on the transmission choice. Turns out JVX makes an adapter plate and I can balance it accordingly. I can also get a transmission controller for use with it and the la 360. Will have to use HP tuner to get shifter points changed out a bit and enable the paddle shifter or floor version.

Pretty sure you will need an aftermarket controller from Sound German Automotive. HPTuner makes it sound like you are going to try and use the OEM stuff and as far as I know that isn't possible without the G3 PCM to go with it, if at all.

Pretty sure you will need an aftermarket controller from Sound German Automotive. HPTuner makes it sound like you are going to try and use the OEM stuff and as far as I know that isn't possible without the G3 PCM to go with it, if at all.
Yeah will need both supposedly you can tune the with HPtuner to change the actual shift points. The sga is not programmable I read less that has changed.

Yeah will need both supposedly you can tune the with HPtuner to change the actual shift points. The sga is not programmable I read less that has changed.

I would be shocked if the stand alone setup wasn’t completely tunable. But it does use the OEM TCM so who knows.

Still pretty sure the only time HPTuner could be used is with a Hemi PCM, either factory or a crate motor setup from Mopar. And the only way you could use that is if you do a full G3 swap. I guess you could have some kind of elaborate setup that feeds the PCM ghost inputs for the cam and crank sensors plus actual TPS, speed and shifter input so the PCM thinks it is in a real car and passes the correct info to the TCM. But that seems like a ton of work.

Best suggestion is to call SGA. He call tell you for sure if the stand alone can be tuned or not.

Got a hold of SGA the swap is doable not sure it's the best route. Honestly so much has been custom already on the car. I still want off the shelf support. Wife wants a stick as she can drive it also. I think we're going to keep with old school 70s gain some RPM and power with a manual. We're getting a quote from Brewer performance A833. Alot of the old school build you all seem to enjoy the four speed since I'm not auto cross or daily drive and only light drag. I think this is my best option. The Dakota 5 speed is cheap I will blow it up. The tremec TKX at 7000 dollars is nuts. I think for 5200 end to end plus some more cash new column, bucket seats and console is smarter saves me money.

Last edited:
Only other option I also have on table is the OD unit 727 use mine rebuild it install the unit. It would come in cheaper but column still goes and the seats do as I want floor slap stick.

It's who in Oklahoma can rebuild transmission and not gouge me. I read and was told I could do this rebuild on my 727a.

Got a hold of SGA the swap is doable not sure it's the best route.

Was the stand alone tunable?

I think we're going to keep with old school 70s gain some RPM and power with a manual. We're getting a quote from Brewer performance A833.

The 4 speed swap isn't going to change the cruise rpm's unless you go to an A833OD. That's what I run and I like it, but not enough to stop me from doing a T56 swap. The OD trans works fine, and with a 3.212 rear gear I cruise at right around 2K rpm at 65.

Only other option I also have on table is the OD unit 727 use mine rebuild it install the unit. It would come in cheaper but column still goes and the seats do as I want floor slap stick.

Do you mean a GearVenders OD unit?

If you mean the OD unit off a late model trans (A518/46RH/46RE), that won't work as the whole trans needs to be swapped.

Got a hold of SGA the swap is doable not sure it's the best route. Honestly so much has been custom already on the car. I still want off the shelf support. Wife wants a stick as she can drive it also. I think we're going to keep with old school 70s gain some RPM and power with a manual. We're getting a quote from Brewer performance A833. Alot of the old school build you all seem to enjoy the four speed since I'm not auto cross or daily drive and only light drag. I think this is my best option. The Dakota 5 speed is cheap I will blow it up. The tremec TKX at 7

If you mean the OD unit off a late model trans (A518/46RH/46RE), that won't work as the whole trans needs to be swapped.

7000 dollars is nuts. I think for 5200 end to end plus some more cash new column, bucket seats and console is smarter saves me money.

Yes gear vendor.

So what say you all on plug reading today? I think maybe to early to tell was very very rich one point. I think maybe plug is a bit to cold no bad signs I pulled 4 different cylinders keeping track first 500 miles.

IMG_20230616_155440_01.jpg

None was pretty clean I just got it leaned out a bit. Via adjustments so this was first time pulled a plug after couple tanks seeing good results. No detonation that I can see or heat issues. Mainly my worry with higher compression. Rather be little rich than lean, but I think I may remove vacuum advance completely. That cam and it don't really sync up. It's better but I think idle and other low rpm would be better. I think it's jumping in a bit to much causing that rich condition. I have mechanical advance really don't think I need just an AC idle solenoid I need to add. I did also add a pressure regulator and I think that made a huge difference with to much pressure. The fuel pump claims it's 8.5 max. But I have it set on regulator at 6.5. floats front and back are dead on line and I toned down those idle meter screws correctly.

Last edited:
I still would love to find a tuner in Tulsa that can dial this in better than I. For sure 100 percent this car will not run ethanol very bad hahaha. Coughs spits hates it. We have 93 no ethanol so that helps a lot.

None was pretty clean I just got it leaned out a bit. Via adjustments so this was first time pulled a plug after couple tanks seeing good results. No detonation that I can see or heat issues. Mainly my worry with higher compression. Rather be little rich than lean, but I think I may remove vacuum advance completely. That cam and it don't really sync up. It's better but I think idle and other low rpm would be better. I think it's jumping in a bit to much causing that rich condition. I have mechanical advance really don't think I need just an AC idle solenoid I need to add. I did also add a pressure regulator and I think that made a huge difference with to much pressure. The fuel pump claims it's 8.5 max. But I have it set on regulator at 6.5. floats front and back are dead on line and I toned down those idle meter screws correctly.
It’s not too bad, you might see a little power by leaning it out. Keep an eye on detonating/deposits.

Some vacuum cans are adjustable so you might be able to tune the vacuum advance before removing it.

It’s not too bad, you might see a little power by leaning it out. Keep an eye on detonating/deposits.

Some vacuum cans are adjustable so you might be able to tune the vacuum advance before removing it.
Well I got the HEI GM style but it is adjustable I'm guessing it's retarding the time to much. May need a little advance in it. I know at a stop light I need to idle up more it's settling idle now really nice but I noticed if idle up closer with screw 850 to 900. It wants to run higher idle and will jump to 1100 then will calm down pretty sure the cam lope and that advance are the culprit 750 to 800 it's ok but at a light it's can almost die due to low idle. Other issue I cannot get fast idle to work at all cold. That cam on that choke is pissing me off. It's an art I know lol challenge accepted. Choke works but the cam screw was screwed all the way in that can't be right not sure how it got that way.

Last edited:
Still doing transmission research. After speaking with four or five places and quotes I'm going the 8HP70 route. I like the flexibility of the ZF 8 speed. The range is crazy rpm to shift and adjustment. A 2.94 rear is actually aggressive with this transmission but not to much. Nothing like a 3.55 with a 727 no offense to anyone the rpm at 75 rpm and gas mileages is crazy bad. It's fun for sure but I want to road trip and be able to lay down serious power. I plan to do SGA controller, JVX adapter, 8HP70 zf, 4160 TPS for my carb I'm keeping it. A progression ignition HEI programmable distributor. Console for sure, bucket seats floor shift 8HP. Gotta decide on the seat style and console. Challenger 08 and up maybe? I know a lot more cash going in. I was careful up front as I didn't know what I wanted. Well now I got AC and all rebuilt and weak links are the seats column shift and 727. My wife was terrified when I dropped 6k plus to 3rd and kept it down. Was told I need better safety equipment scared her. Agreed so the wish list is started gathering parts now.

Gotta decide on the seat style and console. Challenger 08 and up maybe?

Lot's of threads on seats. Here is one using Charger seats:

Moved fuel line will find or create some fasteners for the new location. Changed the oil and filter, changed out the headlights for brighter ones. Tinkering with kickdown better now.

IMG20230625165247.jpg

IMG20230625134305.jpg

Going to rejet my 850 Holley Install the O2 sensor and see where I'm at. Reading plugs is not fun rather get a definitive on that. Pretty happy overall I just want to run as clean as possible and not leave power on the table. At one point I did have a single back fire couple times sorted out quickly and fired up. I will replace the powervalves even though it has the protection built in concerned it may have caused an issue. I plan to go jet 76 in front and 86 in back right now they are 86 front and 93 for the jets. I think that is overkill right now and would perform better but want to be sure and get that mixture reading from the gauge. At idle I noticed it has a tendency to idle up after stopping and parked not sure if this is the valve secondary on distributor maybe to advanced? It is not dumping gas like a bad power valve or to much idle screw. I'm at 18 degrees on number one TDC no vacuum hooked up idles at 800 to 890 comfortably. Below that with this cam its kind of ugly when put in gear and without secondary even worse I need that for street. Just need to get it adjusted correctly very close now just dialing in so I can leave it the hell alone! I did try driving without vacuum advance and was simply not good experience in neighborhood and stops in traffic.

Got car aligned and as thought I will need to get new upper A arms I'm out of adjustment room. Will be ordering new upper QA1 Control arms figure I will get a rear sway bar while I'm at it. I'm enjoying the car though and doing updates and tinkering. Time of my life and lotta fun!

Today's adventure read this your going to laugh. This is no kidding 109 percent true and wow lol. Some idiot stuffed a pencil in the 3/8 vet tube not sure how I did not notice it. Breather filter now installed for gas tank vent tube hahaha. The black pencil was pulled out of the tube......still can't believe didn't realize it. Blind I guess I taped it off for paint.

IMG20230701155255.jpg

IMG_20230701_160848_01.jpg

Jets swapped out this am for my birthday gave car a little love. Front jet is now a 76 was an 80 and the back is now an 80 was an 88. Little fat I thought and as suspected runs a lot better idle off line and at stop signs idling. Easier start ups not loading up on fuel any more.

Going to swap power valve to a 5.5 I think this will help with some things I'm seeing.

Swapped power valve to 3.5, rear jets to 84 in Holley. Installed my Air flow gauge and O2 sensor. Then I drove around sitting right around 11.5 to 13.5 air fuel ratio about a 12.5 average. Also removing the vacuum advance for sure this time and going to manual choke. Running great and much better with each little tweak.

IMG20230707094742.jpg

IMG20230707093429.jpg

-
Back