74 dart no tail lights no brake lights

-

1967bcuda

Reaction score
Hey guys my dart doesn't have any tail, brake or emergency flashing lights. Running lights work, front turn signal lights work & right tail light flashes when turn signal is activated until you turn the running lights on. Any suggestions?

Have you checked your fuses? I had a short in the glove box lamp that was constantly blowing the circuit the brake lights were on in my 73 dart.

Have you checked your fuses? I had a short in the glove box lamp that was constantly blowing the circuit the brake lights were on in my 73 dart.
Yes. The fuse was blown for the blower motor, but the rest were ok

Check that those bulb sockets are chassis grounded. Some do have a 3rd wire/actual ground wire but most are metal sockets that ground to the metal fixtures.

Is this all of a sudden? Or have they never worked? Sometimes the fuse holder metal tabs get rusty and need to be cleaned

This was all of a sudden. I say that, but it's been sitting a while since I had to have the trans. rebuilt. Since the issue I replaced both tail light sockets and 1 side marker socket that used to flicker. I pulled the connectors apart at the steering column, drivers kick panel and in the trunk. Steering column had some corrosion at that connection. I wire brushed all the connections, blew them out with air and put dielectric grease on them.

Have you checked for power? at the column connector, the brake switch, etc? see where it stops, that should give you a good idea.

I was wondering the same thing because the brake lights go through the turn signal, but do the running lights as well?
No I don't think so.
Do you get emergency flashers at the front?

If it were me I'd be popping if the steering wheel.

Thanks guys. I'll start checking for power at the switch. The emergency light switch feels mushy when you push it in and out.

Before you go tearing your steering column apart throw a test light on the wires going up and down. if you have power at say the brake switch, then you know the problem isn't in the column

-
Back