74 dart rear end in a 64 dart ,7 1/4 will it fit

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if a 74 7 1/4 rear end will fit in a 64 dart with a 71/4 .
I'm selling my rear end and someone who was interested wanted to know if it will fit . I think it will but thought I'd ask. Thanks

Yes, it will fit i.e. bolt to the leaf springs without having to move the spring perches. However, if it comes from a 74 /6 car with all drums, odds are it will have SBP axles. To be sure, please measure before you sell so as not to mis-lead the buyer. It would be a bummer to think I'm getting a BBP axle when in fact it is a SBP.

i don't know, but why do you want a 7 1/4?

The best reason I can think of is that the buyer wanting a '74 7¼ is because he wants to change from a small bolt pattern rear axle to a big bolt pattern rear axle and NOT have to change the drive shaft. HOWEVER, the 7¼ has to come from a disk brake equipped '74 to have the BBP.

I just finished this swap on my 73 /6 car that I'm converting to disk brakes & BBP. Other than getting the danged u-bolts off, it was an easy swap. FWIW, Mopar put 7¼s on 273 HP cars with Torqueflite. I had one.

They'll interchange with the following notes:
If they're both the small bolt pattern variety, include 5 lug nuts as the '64 may still have LH studs on the drivers' side. If the '74 axle is the 4 1/2" bolt patttern you have to include all the brake parts, lug nuts, and wheels. On both swaps, you need to use the old e-brake cables. They'll transfer from one backing plate to another with no problem....as long as you have 3 hands and 4 screwdrivers!
Mark

-
Back