Greg Purcell
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Contact seller
A Christmas Sled Story

360dart1.jpg

360dart2.jpg

Back in August a good friend of mine buys this 74 Dart Sport daily driver "project" from a guy in Jacksonville. It really was a legit car, running and tagged and insured. EXCEPT that the seller was keeping the engine, trans, rear, tires & wheels and (oh yeah) the front seat!

Well my buddy, who already has three solid projects in the works, sees this as a quick "weekend job" to plug in a built 318 that he has laying around the shop and create a "beater/cruiser" and, although I should have tried, I didn't talk him out of it! My Bad!

360dart3.jpg

Less than a week after he gets back from Jax with the car, he calls to tell me that disaster has stricken! Apparently he found a pristine "unadvertised" 67 Charger locally (one of his bucket list vehicles) and he needs for the Dart to go away quickly.

Because I do parts, I don't want a whole car. He paid too much, so it wouldn't be profitable as a parts car and it really seemed too nice to strip out.

But, in his zeal to move me on it, he opened his shop and started piling in extra parts with the car until it became impossible for me to refuse (and because he looked so pathetic begging me to take it)

Fortunately I had a 75 Dart parts car with a lot of the items needed and I had a low mileage 74 360 RV mill that's been laying around in the way for a couple of years. To make a long story short: I caught the "put it back together as a daily driver" bug!

Since September I have been cleaning and painting parts and putting them on the Dart. The engine was what we used to call a "redneck rebuild". You take a (hopefully) good engine, strip off the valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, and all the bolt ons, then head for the car wash!

If you are good, and you take the time to sandblast and paint all the externals, install a new timing gear set for good measure, put the degreased long block back together with new gaskets and paint it, you can achieve a "rebuilt" engine look!

360dart6.jpg

I spent several weeks detailing the engine, clear coating the new bolt ons like the fuel pump and repainting alternators, steering pumps, brackets and pulleys and the like.

As fate would have it, the engine swap was minor labor compared to the interior! The car was a gold exterior/cream interior with a mixmatch of dyed and painted parts (not to mention an ugly blue ripped up blue bench front seat). Much of that had to be repainted/dyed, cleaned up, replaced and generally re-engineered at a cost of time beyond my wildest imagination. The gauges were cracked. I replaced them with a cleaned up set. The dash pad was exploded. I had one with just a minor crack, and I reused the carpet cover theprevious owner had on the bad one.

My original game plan was to get the car running and drivable by October, license it and have everything fixed and ready for some Father/Son Christmas gift. I failed.

I recently got sick for two weeks and couldn't work, so I'm out of time and money to spend on it. I need to sell it like it is and I'm looking for money in the mid $3600 range

I have only had the car running 4 or 5 times. I've literally driven it up and down my street twice.
I haven't solved or nailed down any of the post swap issues that you always get with a swap. There is intermittent lifter clatter. It takes about 15 seconds to pump oil pressure when cold. The first time I drove it, the 904 slipped badly, I put more fluid in it and it worked fine. The front end probably needs alignment. The AC is all there but needs vacuumed and charged. The blower motor quit (I have another)

The car has potential. It has rust in the usual places. The frames are good. The passenger pan needs replaced due to the ac dripping. The rest of the floor has been wire brushed and coated with POR 15. The few minor pinholes are easy to patch. I have an extra front clip that goes with it. I'm looking to sell it as is in the $3600 range.

360dart5.jpg

360dart4.jpg

360dart7.jpg

360dart8.jpg

360dart9.jpg

360dart10.jpg

360dart11.jpg

The title came in today! It is very unusual to find an old car in Georgia with a clear title because the state does not require them. They will give you one for an additional price IF you have a title from the out of state vehicle you brought in. We had a Florida title and got it reissued in GA!

Drove it a little more today. Runs pretty well for a junkyard motor and shifts like it should. The front end is a little squirrely but I'm certains it needs alignment. If my finances improve, I may end up getting it tagged and insured so I can work out all the bugs and get it to driver status. It IS still for sale however :)

Got a hit on Ebay but then he recinded the bid.
Now $2800 with possible delivery to Melbourne, FL on the 16-17th (Mopars of Brevard show). After that, it becomes a parts car

I have a 2k offer on the car delivered to Melbourne Fl on the 17th. It's for just the car minus the extra parts and air cleaner. I told him it's worth more but I don't want to bring it home. As per our agreement I will take it to the show and if I don't have a better offer by noon he gets it.

I luv the house its in front of I just got no room im hating this new place they call town
its just another scam to suck you dry I need to get back out to the country and have room for more toyz and cars like that , that would flip fast here for 3500.00 but shipping to wisc would just be rolling the dice to break even

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back