[74 Dart Sport] Bad Carter BBD... what now ?

-

S.Rodney

"Hang 10" owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I own a 1974 Dart Sport Hang 10 with a stock 318 (105k miles)

my Carter BBD drips fuel down the Intake... I saw the fix on the internet but there's comments saying that, no matter how well you clean it, it'll comeback someday.

I want a reliable solution... so I thought "Let's upgrade to 4bbl... Let's get a Street Demon 625CFM".

Then, being the newb that I am, I read all I could about going 2BBL to 4BBL and the topic of EGR came...

If I want to completely remove EGR (not simply fiddling with the valve) I mean, nobody would guess that this engine ever had it... What do I need to change ?

Also will need new kick down linkage and prob a throttle cable.

Also will need new kick down linkage and prob a throttle cable.

Just get the 4 bbl style throttle bracket and you just need to lengthen the kickdown rod that goes to the carb about 1" - 1 1/2".... The old throttle cable will work with the new bracket...

you can go cheap and get a 360 intake too, thats what the police 318-4's had. Port mismatch? You'll never notice it. and a TQ will really work well on a teen. Tiny primaries, but if you got the square street demon, your miles ahead.

you can go cheap and get a 360 intake too, thats what the police 318-4's had. Port mismatch? You'll never notice it. and a TQ will really work well on a teen. Tiny primaries, but if you got the square street demon, your miles ahead.

Or if he wants square bore, look for a 68-70 stock cast iron 340 intake. They're out there and affordable...

I ran one for many years on my daily driver 318 with a Holley 600....

I did the port mismatch thing for 2 years (1982-1984) with a TQ on a teener and it screamed AND pulled hard.
Never had to change the shift link or cable, not sure why everyone seems to run into trouble with it...

I have a rebuilt carter bbd (by a carb company) that I bought and never used if you're interested. $60 plus ship. PM me.

I did the port mismatch thing for 2 years (1982-1984) with a TQ on a teener and it screamed AND pulled hard.
Never had to change the shift link or cable, not sure why everyone seems to run into trouble with it...

The carb stud for the throttle is a little more reaward on the 4 bbl than the 2 bbl... You need to lengthen the kick down rod with the slot a little to allow for the proper engagement...

Dodge vans with the 360 in the mid to late 80's came stock with a quadrajet. I think some Diplomats with the police package as well. You could use the intake and carb off one of those and the tiny primaries of the quadrajet would really work well on the 318, nice crisp throttle response . Plus, it would be all be bolt on stuff really cheap from the junkyard...

Awesome ! From the look of it, we got the same engine (mine's WAY more rusty...) Great visuals caus I'm no mechanic so, seeing things step by step is a HUGE help.

Did you completely remove every EGR components in your swap ?

Yes, I removed all the EGR components. Let me know if you have any questions.

The carb stud for the throttle is a little more reaward on the 4 bbl than the 2 bbl... You need to lengthen the kick down rod with the slot a little to allow for the proper engagement...
I found a great article on Hotrod.com about kickdown rods and it's adjustment... what they suggest, is to use a special kit from Lokar.
The LowDown On Stock Torqueflite Kick-Down Linkage

Any opinion on that solution ?

I've used stock 2bbl linkage/cable more than I care to remember. They work with the 4bbl. might have to get just a little creative, but anyone can do it.
Many ways to skin the cat.... I made this "poor quality" video to show this

I would fix the BBD. They are good carburetors.

What components are "EGR" exactly ? Intake, Carb... Heads ? Exhaust/Header ?

The intake manifold and carb are EGR or non EGR specific. You don't need to change the heads, or exhaust manifold if you remove the EGR equipment. There's are many feet of vacuum hoses related to the EGR system as well. Best to download the factory service manual for your 1974 Dart as the last section the manual shows exactly what the EGR components are on your engine. That would be a great starting point.

-
Back