74 Dart Sport Hang Ten project

-

duey_roc

Reaction score
Whats up FABO! So to start ive had this car for almost a year now. I love her to death, but its difficult to do a complete resto like I want to when shes my daily driver as well :banghead: So heres a little info on the car and what ive done so far. This is a Hang Ten edition of the Dart Sport. It has a mechanical working sunroof and fold down rear seats. All numbers are matching. Original 318, 727, 8.25 in the car.

Mechanical: As soon as I got the car I wanted to work on the engine. The weak excelerator intake manifold had to go so I found an LD4B that I put on with the holley 600. Powermaster alternator, new rod bearings, cam, lifters, and pushrods were put in. Also has Hedman shorty headers down to a 2.5 exhaust out. X pipe and flowmaster 40s as well.

Electrical: PITA! I must say I hate the previous owner. The existing wiring harness is so chopped up I have no idea how the car is running. It has wires connecting to the fusible link, bypassing the bulkhead connectors, and going up the steering column. Anything else you can think of that's crazy he did. Anyways, the entire wiring system is out of the car. I got a donor wiring harness from a 73 Duster that's working great so far. Under the dash is done, tomorrow is under the hood and in the rear.

Interior: Interior is pretty bad too. The sunroof itself is not rusty, but the PO never cleaned out the drain pipes therefore causing a clog which in turn makes it leak. The dumb *** screwed strips of metal all the way around straight into the roof, bolting the sunroof down. The entire roof directly around the sunroof hole is rusted. No clue about body and welding but thatll come later. He also got rid of the original buckets and center console and stuck a random dart bench seat in instead! :banghead::banghead: Dash board was painted spray paint black along with white supremacy bolts on the dash. "CRAZY FAST CRACKER" was also painted where the black blotch is in the quarter panel. Basically, the car needs help and im doing the best I can.

Attachments

• Old Dart Picture.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 511
  • Old Engine Bay.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 456
  • Old Interior.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 438
  • photo.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 448
  • New Engine Bay.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 451
So anyways, im slowly going to be working on her. A friend of mine is giving me his old ladder bars that were going to put on. Excited for those but I wanna do an 8.75 suregrip instead of my lame rear. Couple other upgrades are KYB shocks, Cragar soft 8 rims staggered, Northern aluminum radiator with Flexilite Electric fan. Im sure theres more, I just cant think off the top of my head. Heres the plan for the car...

I would like to keep my 318 and Performance build it. This is a while from now, but eventually a good 8 to 1 compression with a Roots type blower is the plan:burnout: I want the car to become an SRT8 series. Never made one but I wanna convert it. Would love to get Viper rims on her, have the new charger SRT8 interior, and have the classic duster stripe down each side but it say SRT8 at the tail, not the engine size. Oh and I gotta have the ducktail, not the Go-wing spoiler. I'll post more pics tomorrow and ill try to keep you guys informed of the latest and greatest of her! Any suggestions PLEASE SEND THEM as this will be my first major major car project.

Bored tonight so ill update everybody with some pictures of my progress. This is my sunroof issue. We filled all the small screw holes and rivet holes, however the major problems are there. I have a strong feeling the whole sunroof rim is gonna have to be cut out and a template made for a new one. I have no idea about body work or welding though :?

Attachments

• Sunroof Hole from Inside.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Sunroof Out.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 450
  • Sunroof Unbolted 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 449
  • Sunroof Unbolted.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 438
  • Sunroof Paint Off.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 464
  • Rusted Sunroof Pics.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 445
Ya this also happened... Guy turned into my lane. He had a big lifted Chevy and that's all his tire that did that damage. He got away with it too.

Attachments

• Car Accident Full Panel.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Car Accident Close Up Panel.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 437
  • Car Accident Door Alignment.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 461
More problems. This was about 3 months ago. Somehow my downpipe on the driver side got a big hole in it so it sounded like open headers. I had my best friend who owns a muffler shop custom make me a new one. Its only temporary till the engine is completely done.

Attachments

• Installing New Downpipes.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 451
  • Old Downpipe and New Downpipe.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 450
About a month after my exhaust happened, I had a big banging under my hood. Sounded like a thrown rod bearing. So I started pulling the engine to find out one of my cam lobes was rounded and a lifter was sticking. Replace the rod bearings, new cam, lifters, pushrods, and a complete gasket set. Oh and a new water pump too lol. Runs good as new! Had my little sis helping out and dad as well. :angel8:

Attachments

• Assembled and Ready for Install.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 436
  • New Rod Bearings.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 450
  • Long Block Before Rebuild.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 448
  • Engine Before Teardown.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 436
  • Paul Helping Pull Engine.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 440
  • Hoisting Engine Out.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 451
  • Pulling Engine.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 430
  • Elizabeth Taking Bolts Out.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 428
  • Removing Transmission Bolts.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 435
Got the engine back together and put it in... alone.... int the rain... like a boss haha.:D I was very proud. The next day, I got my radiator and fan in, and played a little bit with the wiring under the dash. That's about half of the unnecessary crap that he had under there

Attachments

• Underdash Extra Wiring.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 432
  • New Electric Fan Fit.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 449
  • New Radiator and Fan.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 426
  • Engine In Rain.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 436
:finga:These are just a couple of the other pictures I had that are random. Shows how far ive gone in this car as far as completion. Tomorrow ill have the whole front and rear of the car rewired with the donor wire harness. More pictures to come tomorrow!

Attachments

• New Tires.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 429
  • Tire Blowout.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 429
  • Old Engine Bay Passenger.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 443
  • Old Engine Bay Driver.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 439
  • Old Driver View.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 437
Ironracer1: Stopping is not in my dictionary unless youre the cop behind me hahaha! Thanks for the encouragement brother!

Wow you,ve been having some bad luck with this car.Glad to see you working on it yourself and getting it running.:cheers:

Today I got the wiring under the hood redone. I had to solder my front blinkers to the new harness as well as the Electronic Ignition box. Some rats had their way with the wiring so I doctored it up. Looks roughbut the car runs great! and even better news, no more shorting out! lol I also said I was going to post new interior pics so here they are! Does anybody know where I should connect the positive electric choke to?

Attachments

• Rear Seats Folded Down.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Backseat.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 398
  • New Interior.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 394
  • Driver Side Rewired.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 407
  • New Bulkhead Connection.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 411
  • Underdash Wiring Removed.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Elizabeth Removing Steering Wheel.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 428
Today was an interesting day. First time driving the car since the rewiring. The carburetor kept hesitating but I ignored it which I soon found out was a mistake. Drove to work, and car died as I rolled into work. Turns out my electric choke was killing my car since I never hooked it up. Looks like I got plans for tomorrow!

I wasn't talking about "Them" I meant other Mopar folks!!!!!!! Cheby peters are asshats though, today ,I had an *** roll by me in 4wd Denali (or whatever that crap is) while I was hanging a right, on my Harley, single lanes, rush hour traffic, (he got some choice words) !!!!!!! Keep going, nice car!

I know exactly what you mean! This guy had no insurance papers on him, but because I'm a really nice guy I let him call me from home. He did thankfully and he even offered to pay for my damages! Till I told him how much to fix it he said to let insurance deal with it. That's when I found out he claims we met in the same lane :/ dumb *** Chevy ppl... Always think they're higher than everyone else!

Whats up FABO. its been awhile since ive been on here, but the past couple weeks have been pretty crazy. When I pulled my wiring harness and redid it, I took the aftermarket gauges out. (oil, water, volts) I forgot to cap or plug the oil pressure line which filled my entire passenger floorboard up with oil. That being said, I thought it was my intake manifold since that has been leaking for awhile. I got a new Edelbrock Performer which I absolutely love, painted it a high temp black, and installed it. It looks great and runs even better! I tried to reuse my valve covers seals which didn't work at all so now I have to go pull them off and reclean EVERYTHING and put the new valve cover seals in.

Attachments

• New Edelbrock Intake Before Paint.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 326
  • New Edelbrock Intake After Paint.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 328
Watching this build...love the Hang 10's.

Are you going to go with the Hang 10 interior and paint job?

Watching this build...love the Hang 10's.

Are you going to go with the Hang 10 interior and paint job?
Not too sure about paint scheme just yet brother. I have so many ideas from keeping the original eggshell white to flat black with a gloss black hood scoop and decals. Suggestions??

Ok so I finally got the intake and valve covers on. Sorry been really busy these last couple days. Heres a shot of the new intake and the valve covers re painted and cleaned up. Looks awesome!

Attachments

• New Edelbrock Intake Installed.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 310
So today I went t my good friend Wild Bill's house who is an absolute mopar nut. He has a 67 Dart with a 543 big block pushing 550hp! He's been letting me help him work on that. Im learning a lot! I got my headers out and im going to do a full clean and spray them with flat black. Hate that rusty crappy look. Ill take some pictures of before and after tomorrow.

Looks like a solid car. Good to see your making progress. Are you keeping the hammer hanger? Ha! Love it.:coffee2:

Looks like a solid car. Good to see your making progress. Are you keeping the hammer hanger? Ha! Love it.:coffee2:
Nope not keeping that haha. I don't have road rage problems lol. Today was an all out awesome day! Last night I got my headers all ground down to bare metal the best I could, I ground out the insides where the cast was rough, and today I painted them. As you can see from the pictures, I was taught the correct way of painting headers :D And they look fantastic. Finally just about everything bolt on in my engine has a nice coat of paint. All the main stuff anyways. No more exhaust leaks either. Sounds nice and mean with a low rumble :burnout:

Attachments

• Headers on Barbecue Grill.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Headers After Paint.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Driver Side Header Installed After Paint.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 289
  • Passenger Side Header Installed After Paint.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 268
My next project for my car will be one of two things, but I need you guys to decide PLEASE....:prayer::newb:

I either want to start on my rear end, which includes finding an 8 3/4,shortening it, rebuilding it with a locker and 3.93 gears, and getting new rims to fit the new bolt pattern. If I went this route, I could get my ladder bars in and rape and destroy all those stupid mustangs and Camaros who think theyre so cool:finga: On top of that, then I could start working on the tranny as well. Thinking A-833, or TKO-600. Both really big projects but worth it in the end.

OR!!!!!

Redoing my sunroof, which means pulling down the roof, cutting out the rusted spots, and re-weld new strips of sheetmetal in place. If I did this route, I could start working on sealing the rest of my car and working on the interior i.e. dash gauges, carpet, seats, dashboard, stereo, headliner, etc...

Please tell me what you would recommend next. Ive never worked with the rear end or body work before so both of these would be a complete learning experience and both have to eventually get done. Whatcha think guys???

Good news!!! I got a job as an apprentice at a Transmission rebuild shop. I'm so happy I finallhy have my foot in the door of a professional business that I love... What makes it even better is that its close enough to where I can park my baby and ride my bike to work. Save gas, and I can do MAJOR projects on her now! \\:D/

-
Back