74 Dart Sport Special Wiring

-

chgr1

74 Dart Sport
Reaction score
I am trying to find information on the wiring diagram for the 74 / 75 Dart that had the seat belt interlock system and the interlock over ride switch in the engine compartment. All I can find is the generic diagrams that do not list any of these items. These cars also had a time delay ckt in the wiring harness.

I'm also trying to find the console wiring diagram. I did find some diagrams for sale but I am not paying $15 for a diagram that doesn't include the interlock & console information. The generic Dart diagrams are pretty much useless for the 74 / 75 Darts. Heck even the wire color coding doesn't match.

I need to replace the fuse panel and will probably use painless panel 30001 14 ckt but I have to have the specific wiring diagram in order to do this.

Would anyone happen to have the specific wiring diagram for the 74 / 75 Darts?

Frustration Level is getting high.:banghead:

Here's a picture of the interlock module ( yellow box) and is part number 3746849.
Also there is a relay of some sort ( small brown box) that maybe part of the interlock system and is part number 38713.

Attachments

• interlock 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 244
  • interlock 1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 226
I was never able to find the factory wiring diagram for the interlock seat belt system. I had the complete wiring harness out of the car and traced the wires coming from the interlock yellow box and override and relay, then made this diagram. Hope it helps somebody.

I removed all the interlock wires from the harness and redid it according the standard 74 wiring diagram you can find at www.mymopar.com

Steve

The 74 service manual has it but boy is it weird. 73 was the first year for the "improved and different" diagrams and they can be hard to follow

The SHORT answer is you find the reset box under the hood and bypass the two "yellowish" wires which are the "break" in the path for the star wiring from the ignition switch to the start relay.

I started to scan the 74 electrical section (have it in paper) but am so far not happy with the results. As the weather gets worse, LOL, perhaps I can attack that project again.

Frankly, if you own a 74, you ought'a pony up for the service manual

you're absolutely right I should get the factory service manual. I had put the project aside for a while and now I'm back on it.I'm looking for the best price for the FSM and will get it ordered.

For the wiring harness, since the old fuse panel was nasty and I wanted to get rid of all the interlock crap, I ended up laying the old harness out on a large table and sorting out all the wires, replacing the old fuse panel (glass fuses) with a newer style blade fuse panel with plenty of power aux circuits. Put in a master power fuse (75amp+) like all the modern aftermarket harness have. I got all the harness stuff including the crimper, I think at Del City. Also I replaced the firewall bulkhead connectors (bought off e-bay) and all the terminals also from Del City. Rewired the headlight circuit using relays. Basically rebuilt the harness to my liking, documenting and drawing schematics for all the modifications.

Steve

-
Back