74 Duster 318

-

buffoni88

Reaction score
Just bought it a couple months ago. Mostly worried about the interior, eventually a new paint job will come into play. For now, here's my progress thus far. Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome! Hope you enjoy it, somewhat!View attachment IMAG0401.jpg

View attachment IMAG0211.jpg

View attachment IMAG0217.jpg

View attachment IMAG0222.jpg

View attachment IMAG0223.jpg

View attachment IMAG0226.jpg

View attachment IMAG0227.jpg

View attachment IMAG0228.jpg

View attachment IMAG0259.jpg

View attachment IMAG0262.jpg

Can somebody please take a picture of theirs, so I can get some idea of what to put where the carpet ends, just above the gas pedal? As you can see in the third to last picture, it just ends right there, and the jute padding is breaking off all over up there. The vents were removed by previous owner, so I'm still looking for some. Also, some guidance on installing the glovebox would be awesome, as I am having difficulty getting it in position without nearly smashing it!

Nice car. Looks very clean overall.
I had a 74 duster 318 as a 1st car. Loved it.

Kinda jealous your looks so nice.
Keep it up!

Nice car, I like the pinstripes and cragers.

Here's some photos I took during my carpet install:

You want to get the carpet as high up as possible and then make cuts/notches for the steering column, brake/gas pedals, and heater box vent (see photos). The 1st photo is the stock carpet that came with the car, 2nd one shows it removed, this gives you an idea of where the notches were cut from the factory. The 3rd photo shows the new carpet installed. I did make a mistake cutting behind the gas pedal as you can see, but I found a way to fix it with a patch and some duct tape (not pictured).

Keep in mind, the carpet does tend to creep back down a little after it's been in the car a while.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 240
Nice! It's a little late for me to adjust the carpet, it's already down with the seats in and holes cut out. I guess I didn't slide it up far enough while installing it, because there's about 6 inches that are bare now. That's what I get for trying to get it all done in one night. Now, I'm trying to think of ideas to cover up the top half that I missed. Not a huge deal, just somewhat irritating to look at!

You could always paint the firewall black. Could help the black carpet blend in somewhat more. You would have to slide the padding down a bit, or get really messy and trim it.

Hopefully, it won't be too distracting while sitting up front. Just don't have anybody sit in the back...problem solved.

I'm thinking of fab'ing something up for it. Then again, I DO work in a hangar next door to the sheet-metal shop, and metals tech. Collectively, they can build/do anything. Sure does help to be friends with them. And my daughter sits in the back, but she's only 2 (and a half!), so she's not very judgmental yet!

Forgot to upload this one. Any ideas to cover up a hole behind that patch better? Accidentally cut it out when I got them, forgetting that I didn't have a passenger side mirror :banghead:
View attachment 262097

-
Back