74 Duster 904 to 833 conversion.

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
Ok guys, here is the scope. I have a 74 Duster that I have decided to convert to 4 speed from a auto. It currently has a 318/ 904 combination in it and I wish to remove them and install the 4 speed in place of the 904. I am going to rebuild the 318 and put it back in for now but maybe some day I can step up to a 340 as well. But for now, I need to get some help with this part of the project. So far I have a A body short shaft 833 that I just picked up with the bell housing. It has a shifter plate on it but no shifter, shift rods or shift arms. During this project I am also converting to bucket seats with the console. I need to find the following parts and or part numbers.

Shifter:
Shifter Handle:
Console plate for 4 speed: ( I have the auto plate. Willing to sell/ trade)
Shifter rods:
Correct shifter mount plate:
4 Speed Tunnel Hump:

Things that I have

Flywheel
833 Short shaft
Bell Housing

Questions:

1) Can the same drive line be used?
2) WHat Thow out bearing PN# to use?
3) Can same cross member be used
4) What trans tail shaft mount to use?
5) What clutch and Pressure plate to use ( not going to race, but what lasts

If anyone is looking for a 904 with 10,000 miles on it, I will trade it for parts I need. I can be reached by phone also at (916) 925-4917

Thanks in advance for the help.:cheers:

About the trans conversion, The 833 I have looks very good inside. What do I need to look for to tell if I need to repair/ adjust of otherwise mess with the trans befor putting it in. I am concerned about bearings, syncros, gears, seals. I have purchased a seal kit so far, but I don't know what to look for as indicators of troubles.

If anyone is looking for a 904 with 10,000 miles on it, I will trade it for parts I need. I can be reached by phone also at (916) 925-4917

Thanks in advance for the help.:cheers:

Where are you located?

If your asking about which tailshaft mounting to use, is this a truck/van/ b body long tail transmission ?? If so there are some more variables in the conversion. . . . Just from my experience :read2:

The crossmember should be the same, the driveshaft will work but you'll have to change the slip yoke for the trany to a 727 one if you have the 8 3/4 rear end. I think the smaller axles had a different length driveshaft. 130 tooth flywheel with 10.5" clutch

Pedals from a 67 - 72 A body
Clutch rod from pedal to Z-bar
Z-bar and hardware
Clutch adjustment linkage
Lower bell inspection cover
Shifter boot
Pilot shaft bearing - brass or roller

I'd go w/a Centerforce II Dual Friction Clutch, nice and easy on the leg.

Have you checked the depth of the crank yet to see if its drilled out for the input shaft?

Search the 4 speed forums here. This question has been asked many many times. Most questions have already been answered.

Nigel at national moparts has everthing that you need in stock (1-705-426-2993) (1-888-652-7464)

-
Back