74 Duster Fuse Box

-

dICKj

Reaction score
I have to wire in a small electric fuel pump. Where is the fuse box located……. Or should l splice in at the ignition switch?

It would be better to splice it into the ignition. When you turn the ignition on/of, it does the same with the fuel pump. You can always add a toggle switch to keep the pump off if ignition is turned on without needing to start the engine and/or as a theft deterrent.

I would not add ANYTHING to ignition and would in fact go a step FURTHER. The "voltage drop" issue in these girls which causes OVER charging is very often an overall harness voltage drop in the circuit path to the VR. THIS CAN BE the connector and ignition switch IE both the switch connector and internal switch contacts.

Either splice into the ignition "run" wire and trigger a relay, or better yet, electrically cut the "run" wire coming out into the engine bay. Use the firewall end to trigger a relay, and use that relay output to feed the other end of the cut wire, that is, the underhood loads. Feed the relay power from a fuse/ breaker from the starter relay stud.

If the pump you are adding is not too large, and you have used at least no10 wire to feed the relay, you could also run the pump off that relay output. OR you can trigger a second relay to run the pump of that point

Even this 74 Scamp I have, which is factory bone stock, and the wiring appears pretty good shape, has nearly 1V drop to the VR. I have not "fixed" it

-
Back