74 Duster Gas Tank Leak

-

mwatson187

Reaction score
My gas tank apparently isn't properly sealed, so gas will slosh out when I take right turns. I haven't had the chance to get up under the car and drop the tank to see if maybe the filler neck is messed up & won't be able to do so until next weekend. Any first guesses as to what it might be with that limited information? Obviously gonna need more info before I can figure out an actual course of action, but wanted to get the brain juices flowin if you guys had any preliminary guesses.

Thx in advance

If it only does it on a right turn, I would say it's probably the filler neck grommet. Less likely but still possible is a hole, high up on that same side. You should be able to see a fuel residue trail dripping down from the leak.

Also might be the sending unit's seal. If it isn't much of a leak, it might be a crack around the vent tube's soldered joint. Hard to tell until you get a chance to take a look under there and see where the stream is coming from.

Let us know what you find...

So I finally dropped the tank and found out what the problem was.....apparently the filler neck grommet was completely worn out and the previous owner thought it was a good idea to cover it with duct tape lol. Just popped in a new grommet and it's all set :D

4e77c0df.jpg

e4ae30c0.jpg

Now that you have that figured out, what the heck is that nylon strap for??? That's not holding the tank in is it?

Cudamark - ya........that's how the previous owner had it held in. Don't you worry though, I got the proper straps in now :]

Fascinating! I've never seen duct tape used as a gas tank sealer. I hope you fix it properly with a real seal and strap.

-
Back