74 Duster Heater core swap tips

-

scott2683

Reaction score
Hey guys, My windows keep fogging up on me when I use the heater in my duster, so I feel down around the heater box and sure enough its leaking. I've watched some youtube videos and did a little bit of research online to find a good tutorial on my car. The process seems pretty straight forward, but this is another one of those tasks that I've never attempted before. I'll be sure to buy a service manual so I won't bother you folks as much in the future.

Any advice on putting the new one in? Thanks for the help, Everyone have a safe weekend!!

Advanced auto $40 for the core.
Take the 3 bolts out from the heater motor in the engine compartment.
Slide the defrost tubes off, un-clip two heater control lines.
It is really easy if you take the glove box liner out.

Also DMT makes a sweet kit with all gaskets to rebuild it and make it air tight for around $30.

If you can, make sure to either take the old one down to get the new one, or at the very least compare the two before you spend any time trying to install it.

The A/C and non A/C cars have different versions, and not all of the repopped one's out there are right.

Changing it out isn't that bad, but just realize you have to take everything out to get at it. For example, removing the glove box liner will make your life A LOT easier. A/c cars are harder than non-A/C cars, which actually aren't that bad with the glove box liner out.

While you're in there, clean out your cowl. Seriously. My car is super clean, no rust, original paint was in good condition, and this is still what I got out of the cowl.

IMG_1090_zps4ba1d898.jpg

Here's a couple more with the heater core in and then out of the heater box.

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you guys and thanks for the pictures. I really appreciate it! I'm going to tackle it tomorrow when I'm off work. Is it about a 3 hour job?

Thank you guys and thanks for the pictures. I really appreciate it! I'm going to tackle it tomorrow when I'm off work. Is it about a 3 hour job?

Probably?

Assuming everything goes well it should probably take less than that. But, we all know how things can go sometimes...

I understand that! I can turn an hour job into an all day job pretty easily!

Well I tackled the heater core today, and I ran into about everything you guys mentioned in the thread. It really wasn't as bad of a job tearing everything apart as I thought. I haven't got it put back together yet, O'Reilly ordered the wrong heater core in for my car, according to the lady working behind the counter they can't even get it in. Luckily Auto zone can get it, and from the pictures it looks identical to what I have.

My cowl was definitely full of crud and what appears to be an old mouse nest. I got everything all cleaned up and ready to put back together. I'll probably finish it up on friday when I'm off work.

Again thanks for all the help, it wasn't as bad as I thought!

Attachments

• Photo Mar 29, 1 21 16 PM.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Photo Mar 29, 1 21 22 PM.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 285
When you handle a mouse nest with bare hands you better scrub up. They carry all kinds of germs, some of which end up in there do-do and urine, and are very bad for you and especially so for pregnant women.Thats what I think I remember.

G-g-gravedig!
Sorry to rehash this, but I figured I'd ask since I'm here.

Just replaced my heater core. It was kinda shitty to do, but meh. Forgot to connect the ground until the last minute, and kinda forgot where it bolts to. Does it ground onto the clamp for the two lines coming out of the core? (interior side of the firewall)

Reason I ask is I've been having some weird electrical issues so I'm hunting for a bad ground or short.

Be careful removing the heater box. They are easy to break. Be sure to completely remove the J bolt from the pass fresh air duct before dropping the heater box or you will damage the box.

Also I did not like the fit of any of the aftermarket heater cores. The inlet and outlet tubes were off a bit. I finally had my original core rebuilt by Glen-Ray radiators.

G-g-gravedig!
Sorry to rehash this, but I figured I'd ask since I'm here.

Just replaced my heater core. It was kinda shitty to do, but meh. Forgot to connect the ground until the last minute, and kinda forgot where it bolts to. Does it ground onto the clamp for the two lines coming out of the core? (interior side of the firewall)

Reason I ask is I've been having some weird electrical issues so I'm hunting for a bad ground or short.

It grounds to the fan motor housing screw near the inlet and outlet tubes.

-
Back