74 Duster help

-

1stABODY

1stABODY
Reaction score
Thank you guys for a great website and tool to help me build my first ABODY. I have been a Chevy man my whole life but I got the opportunity to pick up a 1974 Duster from a friend. This car is all original 318, with a 904 trans factory A/C with 37,000 miles. It has had a period correct four barrel intake installed and a Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) a Blaster coil, and a pair of long tube headers. Car is in great condition, but I am having some trouble with it back firing and popping. As of last night it ran better but I noticed the battery will not hold a charge. The Voltage regulator looks like its leaking on the fender. Is that common? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

It's "fairly" common for some of the electronic ignition boxes to leak, less so with VR. How many wires? 2? It's the VR. 4 or 5? Ignition box

If the latter, this might have something to do with the way it runs.

The gel compound they fill these components with often melts out of them. Could also be some moisture in the distributor, bad wire, marginal rotor or carbon tracking.

remove the ecu and clean the mounting holes for a good ground ,the coil is fired from the ground on the ecu, if rusted it will run rough. start there!

Also make sure your ground strap is in place and making good contact on both ends from the engine to the firewall.

-
Back