74 duster power to manual swap questions

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I'd like to switch my Duster from power steering to manual, my brother has a manual steering box from his 72 Dart Swinger that I could get. Will a 72 box work on my 74? What will I have to change as far as steering linkage and colum ? His car had power steering originally but it was street raced in Detroit and they put manual in it and theres 2 couplers welded together on the input of his box, what can I do about that on the CHEAP ?

I did the same thing, but I got my first box from the junk yard and it was too loose for the track. I also welded the couplers together to make it work. I have sense changed to the FLAMING RIVER Stearing Box FR1540 and Coupler FR1505M. I used the pitman arm from the junk yard it had a lower profile than the power pitman arm. I think the new coupler was about $150.00 but worth every penny. Yes the 72 box should fit into the 74, and if you weld the couplers you may need to reinforce the weld to make the Tech. Inspectors happy at the track. I dont kow how to post pics on this page but if you like I can e-mail a pic.

Cool, glad to hear that will work. I've seen those adapters before, mancini has one that's about $125 I think but being a college kid it hurts to spend that much on one little peice of metal lol, maybe I'll just do the weld trick to get me by for awhile, welding is one thing I'm good at.

could I ask a huge favor? I'm putting a 318 into my '64 Dart and need a good photo of the power steering brackets and how they mount. I've never had a later "A" body.
P.S. I may have the entire manual setup out of a 67 Valiant, column and all, let me know if you need any of it.
thanks

I don't know about track work, but I've heard - I hate to say it - negative things about those "over the counter" steering box couplers ... the kind that have no play in them. Apparently they might not allow for the flexing that occurs between the box and the shaft and therefore could fail. Whether this sounds likely to you or not, it is well worth checking into it before you do the deed.

Bill do you know what brand had the problems? I contacted Flaming River Tech. support and they responded:
Dear Sir,
Our Mopar coupler is good for up to a 35 degree operating angle,and we can say that we have not had even one complaint concerning this coupler.
If you are speaking of up and down movement (slip) within the coupler though, this is something that our coupler does not offer.

Best Regards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.
800-648-8022

If any one has info or heard that this style is not safe please post.

I asked Flaming River tech support if I could see up or down movement (slip) with my setup and this was the response:
Dear Sir,
No, there will not be any slip when using one of our Mopar couplers.

Best Regards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.
800-648-8022

I thought that I had read something about it in Mopar Action, but I just checked their site and can not locate it. If you have any of their mags from the last year or two you might check through them.

could I ask a huge favor? I'm putting a 318 into my '64 Dart and need a good photo of the power steering brackets and how they mount. I've never had a later "A" body.
P.S. I may have the entire manual setup out of a 67 Valiant, column and all, let me know if you need any of it.
thanks

i might be interested in your set up if he dosent need anything. i have a 75 with power and want manual how much would you want for it all? and would you wanna trade at all?

the stock steering shaft slips in and out of the original column, enough to slip the coupler off of the splines on the box. i know i've done it a few times.
firm feel has a nice peice.

IMG_1897 (1)_1.jpg

IMG_1900 (1)_1.jpg

Pauly v. 100 Thanks for the post, did you car come from the factory with no heater/ blower? I never saw a driver with no heat, Im in Chicago.

yes, both my cars are heater delete. i'm also willing to part with heater delete dash trim from a 68 valiant signet. most all the heater delete cars that i've heard of were sold in florida and hawaii only.

-
Back