74 Gold Duster

-
Awesome car man I'm usually a very traditional guy but I absolutely love the engine color! Please dont swap it for a v8 leave it !! If you want more power add a turbo or something! Lol I love it following for sure!!!

Awesome car man I'm usually a very traditional guy but I absolutely love the engine color! Please dont swap it for a v8 leave it !! If you want more power add a turbo or something! Lol I love it following for sure!!!
Thanks! Yeah me too on typically being traditional but the car wasn't numbers matching and I came across that color and just fell in love with it. I feel like its kind of a play on the orange Chrysler used. On the v8 swap, I'm very torn on it. In highschool I had a couple half tons with the 318 in them so there is a little nostalgia to them for me. I do like the 6 and have considered a turbo, I love how these sound turbo'ed. If I end up swapping the motor It will probably be a long time down the road. Its going to be a really hard decision for me.

Man iv had 318s in my last two every day drivers iv drove them for the past past 15 years and I love them you cant beat the reliability of a 318! My last truck was a 85 had 189k on it when I sold it it still ran flawlessly but was basically rusted in half! It started nickle and diming me to death it was always something rusting and breaking finally the shackle rusted in half and the leaf spring came thru the bed lol! I got rid of it and got an 01 ram with a 318 so far it's got 254k and rising still driving it every day my only complaint with 318 is 1 lack of power and 2 lack of mpg! There is alot of potential in a 318 and why dodge didnt put it there I dont know but there is no reason a 5.2 liter should only have 150hp and 12 mpg! Yes they can be built and make some respectable power I just dont understand why Chrysler didnt do it in the first place.
I messed up and locked my slanty up I wish I would have replaced it back then with another slant but I did the v8 thing I have a 360 setting in my building waiting to be built I just dont have the cast and honestly don't know if I ever will.

Man iv had 318s in my last two every day drivers iv drove them for the past past 15 years and I love them you cant beat the reliability of a 318! My last truck was a 85 had 189k on it when I sold it it still ran flawlessly but was basically rusted in half! It started nickle and diming me to death it was always something rusting and breaking finally the shackle rusted in half and the leaf spring came thru the bed lol! I got rid of it and got an 01 ram with a 318 so far it's got 254k and rising still driving it every day my only complaint with 318 is 1 lack of power and 2 lack of mpg! There is alot of potential in a 318 and why dodge didnt put it there I dont know but there is no reason a 5.2 liter should only have 150hp and 12 mpg! Yes they can be built and make some respectable power I just dont understand why Chrysler didnt do it in the first place.
I messed up and locked my slanty up I wish I would have replaced it back then with another slant but I did the v8 thing I have a 360 setting in my building waiting to be built I just dont have the cast and honestly don't know if I ever will.
Yeah the 318 and slant are both built proof. I think the low hp probably helps with that though. I'm not sure as well as to why they made them with so low power from the factory other than probably to help convince people to go with the 340/360 models.
Ideally I'd like a second project car and leave the 6 in the duster. I'd like a 30s Plymouth or dodge 2 door and put a 318 in it. But I don't foresee the $$ for one any time soon.

Yeah the 318 and slant are both built proof. I think the low hp probably helps with that though. I'm not sure as well as to why they made them with so low power from the factory other than probably to help convince people to go with the 340/360 models.
Ideally I'd like a second project car and leave the 6 in the duster. I'd like a 30s Plymouth or dodge 2 door and put a 318 in it. But I don't foresee the $$ for one any time soon.
Yea I'm with you I sold my dream car about 9 years ago just couldn't afford to build it and I didnt want to be one of those I'm gonna fix it someday guys while it rots. It was a 72 barracuda and seeing them now makes me sick mine wasnt in bad shape at all it was 100% complete I sold it for 2500. Now I see them completely gutted nothing but a swiss cheese rusted shell for 5 grand makes me so sick. Oh well price you pay for being poor Haha. Iv got my dart tho and I'm determined to get it back on the road. Someday I'm like you if like to find another project. Honestly I'd like to find an abody barracuda 67-69 I really like the notch back ones kinda reminds me a little of the ebods. I'm kinda at a realization I will never have another e body and it sucks but that is life! Maybe someday I can afford a newer challenger those are close to the ebod look

Yea I'm with you I sold my dream car about 9 years ago just couldn't afford to build it and I didnt want to be one of those I'm gonna fix it someday guys while it rots. It was a 72 barracuda and seeing them now makes me sick mine wasnt in bad shape at all it was 100% complete I sold it for 2500. Now I see them completely gutted nothing but a swiss cheese rusted shell for 5 grand makes me so sick. Oh well price you pay for being poor Haha. Iv got my dart tho and I'm determined to get it back on the road. Someday I'm like you if like to find another project. Honestly I'd like to find an abody barracuda 67-69 I really like the notch back ones kinda reminds me a little of the ebods. I'm kinda at a realization I will never have another e body and it sucks but that is life! Maybe someday I can afford a newer challenger those are close to the ebod look
That stinks on having to get rid of the barracuda. I get the whole not wanting to watch it rot though. Yeah the market has gone crazy the last few years, I'm glad I was able to get my duster when I did even decent a bodies are getting up there in price!

Yea I have noticed I found a few local people are asking crazy amounts. I found a 74 four door plywood valiant it was in good shape with a slant 6 they were asking 5k firm! I have found a few nice projects for around 1500 I really want another one but just dont have the funds haha!

Yea I have noticed I found a few local people are asking crazy amounts. I found a 74 four door plywood valiant it was in good shape with a slant 6 they were asking 5k firm! I have found a few nice projects for around 1500 I really want another one but just dont have the funds haha!
Yeah every once in a while you'll find a good deal. I missed a running driving 360 duster for 600 a few months ago. It was gone a couple hours after the ad posted

It's been a busy week so I haven't accomplished much. But today my tires arrived. They look a little big but lots of guys on here are running this size. 275/60R15
FB_IMG_1537412358376-01.jpeg
20180919_193207-01.jpeg
20180919_193250.jpg
20180919_193305.jpg

Got to spend about an hour today working on the car. Definitely didn't get as much done as I was hoping. Installing whee studs take a lot mor effort when the axle is out and without an impact. Got one side done and verified they sent me the correct wheels.
20180922_185719.jpg
20180922_185731.jpg

I was able to get the rest of the studs in today and replaced the shoes and all the hardware on the passenger side so it's done except for the leaf spring bushings . Had to modify the hole for the parking brake plate because for some reason the new shoes didn't have the right shaped holes.
20180923_152832.jpg
20180923_152029.jpg
20180923_145557.jpg

20180923_150112.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to finish up the brakes on the diver's side and installed the brake lines and nee shackle bushings. Took the tires in for mount and balance. Went and put them on and they hit the shackles... I guess my car is one that will not fit 275/60r15s stock. So I guess I'm going to have to figure out what do now.
20180924_154444.jpg
20180924_165754.jpg
20180924_164932.jpg
20180924_164931.jpg
20180924_164946.jpg

Well life has gotten pretty busy, but finally got a little time to work on the axle swap. I was able to get the old one out and the new partially in. Just before wrapping up for the night I threw a tire on and jacked it up by the pumkin to put weight on the suspension. I really like how its going to look.
20181009_151909.jpg
20181009_172213.jpg

20181009_194859.jpg

20181009_172219.jpg
20181009_161650.jpg
20181009_161700.jpg

20181009_184345.jpg

Well I was able to finally get some more work done on the car. All that is left to do is take it for a test drive. And make sure everything stays clear.

received_286138095560223.png

How did you work out the tire fitment?
I did a lot of research on here and elsewhere on the internet. I got it a tad wrong though ended up using .25" spacer for now. The tires are 275t60r15s. On most duster style bodies with 8" wide rims they will fit snuggly with 4.5" backspace if you have an 8.75" axel and 4.25" backspace for a 8.25 axle. I'm not sure exactly on measuring so I dont want to miss inform you with my guess. I didn't want to wait until the axle was in before ordering so I just did research. If you post it the other section I'm sure someone would be able to help out.

I did a lot of research on here and elsewhere on the internet. I got it a tad wrong though ended up using .25" spacer for now. The tires are 275t60r15s. On most duster style bodies with 8" wide rims they will fit snuggly with 4.5" backspace if you have an 8.75" axel and 4.25" backspace for a 8.25 axle. I'm not sure exactly on measuring so I dont want to miss inform you with my guess. I didn't want to wait until the axle was in before ordering so I just did research. If you post it the other section I'm sure someone would be able to help out.
I was just wondering what your solution was. I have a 69 Valiant, so mine is a bit more restrictive. With the current 8.25 rear in it, I manage a cozy 255/60R15 on an 8" rim with 4.5 BS. It's snug, but it works and doesn't rub.

I was just wondering what your solution was. I have a 69 Valiant, so mine is a bit more restrictive. With the current 8.25 rear in it, I manage a cozy 255/60R15 on an 8" rim with 4.5 BS. It's snug, but it works and doesn't rub.
Oh ok sorry about that I was thinking you were wanting advice and just didn't want to steer you in the wrong direction, not new to cars but fairly green to modifying them beyond simple bolt on mods. So for now I'm running 4.5" bs with a .25" spacer. Eventually I'll get the correct bs wheels. It looks like I could possibly go 4"bs on this car with these tires and an 8" rim and it would center the tires. but I haven't thrown a tape measure on it yet. Without a tape it looks like I have just over .25 between the springs and tires and .5-.75 between the tire and wheel well lip

Been a while since my last update. In January I decided to tackle the worst lower quarter. Got part way through then ended up selling and buying a new (to me)house so I have been pretty busy. I finally got the quarter in epoxy so I am able to safely drive it. I am not sure if I am going to wait to paint it until I get the other side done or until I'm ready to do the whole car. We'll have to see.

So when I cut into the panel (that first cut was one scariest thing I've ever done) I found a bunch of debris witch was still damp from 2 weeks prior when it got caught in the rain. This definitely explains why the quarters are rusting. Sanded and prepped the donor panels and performed a small repair. Then prepped the car. I butt welded the patches in with a tig after cutting to fit. And mig welded the areas down at the pinch weld. Did panel prep and put down a couple layers of body filler and glaze and sprayed epoxy. Didn't come out too bad for my first try. I'll probably sand a couple spots down and do a little touch up in the body work eventually but I'm really happy with the results and at least the rust should be stopped in that corner.

20181226_145012.jpg

20181226_150548.jpg

20181226_155103.jpg

20181231_152137.jpg

20181231_151927.jpg

20190124_164214.jpg

20190123_153341.jpg

20190619_121842.jpg

20190619_144406.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back