74 power wagon dream truck...

-
After getting a lot of that door together yesterday and the thought of picking up the door panels and getting that door finished I'm feeling very confident that things are starting to really come together... Buying a few more of the small details like seat belts and some other things I probably can't think of at the moment I'm getting very close to breaking in the engine and filling the transmission... If by any stretch of luck that all goes well I'm hoping the rest will be more of a downhill battle... But no question in my mind there will be battles LOL...

I just finished reading this entire build thread, some damn fine work on that old truck, it looks great, your attention to detail is impressive. Nice job.:thumbsup:

Passenger door 100% baring a little gap tweak...
Got some heat wrap around some questionable areas in the exhaust area..
Everything is 6 inches away, but to give me that warm fuzzy feeling...:rolleyes:...
Amazon hasn't delivered my high heat paint but again when I get that I'll finish the exhaust...
I did the other inner fender wall to frame flap and side marker..
Tomorrow seatbelts... Sounds easy.. LOL..
PXL_20220226_205834655.jpg
PXL_20220226_213351527.jpg
PXL_20220226_213308022.jpg
PXL_20220226_213319032.jpg
PXL_20220226_220432734.jpg
PXL_20220226_220943302.jpg

Art's and crafts day..
I had to cut the plastic sleeves of the seat belt covers to get them off..
So this was my iderrrr... (Charles Emerson Winchester the third...)
PXL_20220228_181214156.jpg

Front seat belts installed...

Well ya'll know how this goes.. two steps forward one step back.. finally got the high heat paint and had time today to paint the exhaust.. I didn't paint the mufflers as they said they're aluminized?..
My wife and I played pump-pump hold...
(Wait a minute that didn't sound right... LOL..)
Anyways she pumped all I bled the brakes. Of course the connection coming out of the proportioning valve for the rear brakes was not tight and made a complete mess. Of course I thought I had that all tight before I put the motor transmission linkage and headers in the way which was the whole point.. :BangHead:.. anyways even after we discover we had breaks it was had a seep at the t connection on the front axle and I tightened that just a tick and it stopped.
I filled the power steering fluid which will still need to be topped off once it sinks down after it runs and gets turned. I put the six quarts break in oil in.. tomorrow I plan to put the exhaust in permanent and get the coolant and put that in. I have to work Friday and Saturday but Sunday I was planning on spending up the oil and getting the intermediate shaft distributor back in I'm getting fuel in the carburetor and getting some fuel pour into the tank. Then hopefully Monday try and fire it off for the cam break in...
PXL_20220302_225455703.jpg

Last edited:
Got my first real problem which shouldn't be too bad.. I'm thinking it's the cheap brand new Speedmaster starter.... I bought a crap load of stuff on Black Friday the 1st of which was the wiring kit which did seem to work fine. The spark plug wires were way too Giant and long so I scrap those.. we're still yet to see if the distributor and coil will work ?...
Anyways to the problem I crank it and it continuously cranks till I ran over and grabbed the negative wire off the battery then I touched the negative wire back on and no problem...
I got everything ready to fire.. I spun the oil pump with a pump driver well I turned it over and seen oil come up on the driver side then the passenger side then brought it back to top dead center number one. I put the plugs back in tighten them put the plug wires on and set the timing to where I think it should fire off. I was just about to get some fuel so I can give it a shot tomorrow but I said to myself I've checked every system except for actually tapping the starter and cranking it so I just wanted to crank it a half a revolution to know the starter will engage and turn over. So I hit the starter and started cranking right away like great and then I let off the key and it wouldn't stop cranking us like yaaa.. and ran over to the battery and pulled the negative and it stopped... I touched a negative right back against it and nothing...
I may post this in the electrical section as well as a separate thread to maybe get some action on it... But again my first thought is the cheap Speedmaster starter which I'm not regretting as the wiring kit that I use for $250 was pretty much what everybody charged for the wiring kit and I got so much more. I know it doesn't make any good to have much more that don't work LOL..
Any suggestions would be great. I'm not sure if a regular starter will fit up there but if it will I've got several of those of course I would give that a try...

Damn, I bought 2 of those starters a few years ago, they are just sitting on the shelf.

On bleeding your brakes, just crack the bleeder, and slowly push down on the petal.
Tighten the bleeder release the petal, do it a few times at each wheel, done.

Damn, I bought 2 of those starters a few years ago, they are just sitting on the shelf.

On bleeding your brakes, just crack the bleeder, and slowly push down on the petal.
Tighten the bleeder release the petal, do it a few times at each wheel, done.
So far good place for them...

It sounds like it.

Seriously bleed the brakes by pushing, not pumping.

It sounds like it.

Seriously bleed the brakes by pushing, not pumping.
Yes it's not pumping while I'm bleeding the brakes... I have my wife pumped them up and then hold on them while I plead the brakes and reset it off before she lets up... Is that what you're talking about? As in she pumps it three times holds it while I crack it open and shut it and then she lets off...

Yes it's not pumping while I'm bleeding the brakes... I have my wife pumped them up and then hold on them while I plead the brakes and reset it off before she lets up... Is that what you're talking about? As in she pumps it three times holds it while I crack it open and shut it and then she lets off...
No, you are doing it the hard way.
Do not touch the brake pedal, open the bleeder, slowly push the brake pedal down, hold the pedal to the floor, tighten the bleeder.

Do not pump the pedal. Just push the fluid.

No, you are doing it the hard way.
Do not touch the brake pedal, open the bleeder, slowly push the brake pedal down, hold the pedal to the floor, tighten the bleeder.

Do not pump the pedal. Just push the fluid.
LOL my wife's doing it the hard way....

As long as you get brakes, that is all that matters.

As long as you get brakes, that is all that matters.
Actually the most important thing so far was getting any leaks stopped which I am pretty confident that I did get them stopped. I just probably have to go through one more time and get any air bubbles out that may have came in from the small drip.... It definitely has brakes...

Yes I think it's the starter itself and thank you!..
I had a starter do the same thing on my 65 coronet as a kid, it just would not quit cranking.
It was my only car.
Changed the starter problem gone.

I had a starter do the same thing on my 65 coronet as a kid, it just would not quit cranking.
It was my only car.
Changed the starter problem gone.
On my thread on the electric problem part of the forum I went into more detail on this problem and did end up pulling it today and did end up figuring out it was a starter that was locking in...
I'm going to size up my tools on my daily driver Dodge truck and put them in a backpack to take to pick and pull Sunday morning...

Last edited:
Got my tools in a backpack to pluck a magnum starter at the pick and pull tomorrow morning...
If that all works out I'll pump some non ethanol out of the snowmobiles and basically get my ducks in a row for break in on Monday...

Got my tools in a backpack to pluck a magnum starter at the pick and pull tomorrow morning...
If that all works out I'll pump some non ethanol out of the snowmobiles and basically get my ducks in a row for break in on Monday...
:thumbsup:

How did break in go?
In the dozens of engines I've done first starts on I've never had one start and high idle this fast!...
My nabor helped (retired mechanic) and we gave a quick glance at each other... Like "did that just happen?!?"...
The last couple days have been wrestling a brake problem like a real low pedal.. it became extremely noticeable once the brake booster was working.. after trying everything we know how to try I texted the kid that had it before me and he said he was having the same problem... :rolleyes:..
I did have a little bit of oil drip on the bell housing of the transmission and followed it all the way up to the back passenger side top of the engine.. there was a small puddle on that casting valley behind the passenger head and one on the second valley coming around down above the oil filter at the very back of the engine. I felt and had mirrors back there and just could not see where I was coming from all around the sending unit the distributor the back corner of the manifold was dry I would wipe my fingers back there and get nothing.. I'm going to tighten the manifold down and give it a restart today and see if I can't borrow my neighbor's scope and keep an eye on it...

-
Back