74 power wagon dream truck...

-
On a little bit of a cross road with the front and rear window chrome...
I have the chrome but only 2/3'ds of the clips.. the front has two different kinds of clips... Which go where and exactly where on the upper part of the front windshield is a question as I had to do a repair there and the holes got covered up... In the spirit of keeping it simple I may just skip the chrome all together..
I could use the Chrome plastic strip that goes in the lock groove...
I'm really down to the last three things besides that oil leak now and I'll probably take care of that lake after everything's done or just before I get tires... Windows, get the bed painted and on, and tires...

Last edited:
Well one of two things is happening with my truck either the thermostat is stuck that was brand new or the radiator is clogged... Radiator is a newer champion radiator... I highly doubt it's the brand new water pump but it could be...
The top hose goes under pressure quickly and gets hot, and the bottom hose is damn near Stone Cold... Bottom half of the radiator is cold or not hot... I did drill a pinhole in the thermostat I'm pretty sure of that... I need to pull the intake manifold off anyways to seal the back I don't know how that leaked I've never had that happen.. again lots of Right stuff extra in the corners I've done this dozens of times and never had one leak on me...

Well one of two things is happening with my truck either the thermostat is stuck that was brand new or the radiator is clogged... Radiator is a newer champion radiator... I highly doubt it's the brand new water pump but it could be...
The top hose goes under pressure quickly and gets hot, and the bottom hose is damn near Stone Cold... Bottom half of the radiator is cold or not hot... I did drill a pinhole in the thermostat I'm pretty sure of that... I need to pull the intake manifold off anyways to seal the back I don't know how that leaked I've never had that happen.. again lots of Right stuff extra in the corners I've done this dozens of times and never had one leak on me...
Sounds like possibly an air lock in the cooling system.

Sounds like possibly an air lock in the cooling system.
Kind of what we were thinking when we first broken in but now I'm just going to pitch that damn thermostat out!...
I have to drain the antifreeze to pull that intake off anyways so I'm going to start there...

Test the thermostat in a pot of boiling water.
Yeah that was like auto shop A1A back in high school.. Mr Kingdom told us to boil them when they were brand new before we install them... I want to load it up in my slingshot and let my neighbors on the next block have it!...
I got after that intake manifold today... I had my head that I was just going to let the oil leak drip for a while I got other stuff done but it just ate away at me too much that and that damn thermostat... I did run water in the top of the radiator and it ran right out so I know definitely not that...
PXL_20220326_235711559.jpg

I got a new set of gaskets coming tomorrow so I'll probably start out just getting the manifold and the heads all cleaned up...

Thinking out loud here along those thoughts of an airlock I know I have an aftermarket heater with much longer hoses and they actually curve up off the motor go down probably as low as the water pump then come back up to the heater? I'm wondering if where they come down I pick them up at least during initial startup and getting the system filled if there's some kind of airlock circulation problem? And it filing through to other parts?..
I did throw the thermostat in a bowl of boiling water from the microwave and it barely partially started opening maybe halfway at best... I had my heat gun on it to make sure it was well over 180°... Like the duster my plan is just to gut the mechanism and keep a little bit of a restriction... I don't feel the radiator is plugged whatsoever...
I have my work cut out for me getting these gaskets off the heads and the intake manifold as they're glued on extremely tight the way I like it so there's no leaks... LOL..:BangHead:...:rolleyes:...

PXL_20220327_182936679.jpg
PXL_20220327_190542754.jpg

Thermostat gutted and hopefully that will create enough flow to blow out any air pockets? And heads and China walls double scraped double Scotch padded and quadruple wiped with carb cleaner...

I think I was just taking to long fighting the bolts hitting the bolt hole walls in the manifold the first time.. You can see the thread mark's in the bolt holes in the manifold.. I took my grinder and smoothed and ground those area's out and the bolts and the install went much quicker and smooth...
Just the carb and hose left.. I gave up for the night and grilled burgers...
PXL_20220327_195313700.jpg
PXL_20220327_195243918.jpg

PXL_20220327_195321108.jpg
PXL_20220328_000845726.jpg

Oh yeah and while I had the valve covers off and everything out of the way I went and checked the lash adjustment. I had four of them that were just a tick off and tighten them up..

"IF"... It leaks again I'll probably for the first time ever try the cork china Wall gaskets.. I must have a hundred...

Oh the joy of leaks been there on that. Paying someone else didn't work for me on my old Duster. Went talked to a few mechanics my Dad knew they were very clear what I had to do. But they said even then sometimes lol I believe an old and young priest were mentioned.....

So today I'm going to try and hook everything back up. I just need to put the carburetor on hook up some hoses and the linkage fuel line and fill it with distilled water... I'll try and clean up all the old oil leak on the back of the block and keep my fingers crossed..
I had everything our TV on and almost ready to go last week but the big swap meet here in Portland was happening and I had a booth like I do every year and got sidetracked for a week...

Well... At first look I "think" I have the oil leak fixed..:rolleyes:..
It still wanted to get hot over time..
I gutted the thermostat and now the bottom hose gets hot as well.. over sized aluminum radiator.. I need to be able to drive it to see if it's the electric fan..
Temperature gauge in the truck is off..

Called and inteletronics about the water gauge and they said either a ground or the digital gauge was more precise and it was reading the water temperature more accurately?.. something about the block was dissipating heat and blah blah blah...
I got off the phone as quick as I could cuz I knew when I was having wind blowing up my wazoo...

Ok swap meet over and some general clean up done...
ON WITH FINISHING THE PROJECT!!!...
I bought caster wheels to weld to the bottom of my sled deck and hopefully a break in the weather tomorrow will allow that... If I get really lucky I would be able to get it situated on the soon to be rolling sled deck and power wash and start prepping the bottom for paint...
It's upside down now and after the bottom is finished hopefully a little prep in the bed and off to paint...

Got the bed down from it's one year hibernation... It's now on wheels and I can work the bottom...
PXL_20220410_170927977.jpg
PXL_20220410_183136417.jpg
PXL_20220410_170927977.jpg
PXL_20220410_165127740.jpg
PXL_20220410_185401902.jpg
PXL_20220410_165940203.jpg
PXL_20220410_165127740.jpg

I can't believe you are going to beat me to the finish line!

Cley
View attachment 1715905150
Looking great!..
Well besides hitting the disagree button LOL it looks like you're closer than I am...
It's only four bolts to put the hood on a few screws for your grill and we both got to put the front and rear window in which I'm going to end up having to pay to do that...

I think I'll get someone to put my front and rear glass in too. My big thing left is adapting the wiring harness. I got a big thing out of the way when I got the steering sorted last weekend. I guess we will both get there eventually!

Cley

Glass is easy to put in, you just need a helper.
Super easy if the gasket uses a lock string, why pay someone?

-
Back