74 power wagon dream truck...

-
Speak now or hold your peace...
I got a bunch of small supplies today and came home and fitted the exhaust together... Tomorrow I'll tack it and weld it...
Got the trans fluid the brake fluid power steering fluid today and baring a battery and gas I may be ready to start the engine and break it in after this exhaust is done...
PXL_20220221_205342124.jpg
PXL_20220221_222021670.jpg
PXL_20220221_222122530.jpg
PXL_20220221_222155722.jpg
PXL_20220221_222136980.jpg
PXL_20220221_222004553.jpg
PXL_20220221_222143929.jpg
PXL_20220221_222325991.jpg

PXL_20220221_222453208.jpg

I would tack weld all the joints, take them off the truck and bench weld them all around.

I would tack weld all the joints, take them off the truck and bench weld them all around.
That is the plan... And header paint them..:thumbsup:...
That's kind of why I was saying speak now because once it's welded together it's done LOL...

All in for the exhaust I should be right out about $200.. that's the pipes and the mufflers and the one fitting and the three hangers welding wire and soon to be painted.. the bung was given to me..

All in for the exhaust I should be right out about $200.. that's the pipes and the mufflers and the one fitting and the three hangers welding wire and soon to be painted.. the bung was given to me..
That is really reasonable for an exhaust system, I would not have welded the mufflers on, just clamped them.
The mufflers are usually the first thing to go on a truck.

Nice work on that exhaust. Is that a kit form? I need to replace what I got. The 2 into 1 Y pipe I have with 3 different muffler changes, is not producing the sound I’m after.

Nice work on that exhaust. Is that a kit form? I need to replace what I got. The 2 into 1 Y pipe I have with 3 different muffler changes, is not producing the sound I’m after.
On post 959 I posted a picture I think it's the third one of the kit.. it was like $96 on amazon? It had the two I would say four or five footers, two 90s two 45s and two 180s.... With the two mufflers it ended up being exactly the right amount. I bought a female to female coupler and ended up using it but in hindsight all I needed to do was turn around one of the 90s and it would have been perfect. It's two and a half inch... I think the two mufflers were $48 on Amazon which was cheaper by $20 then summit. I figured that and another $50 in small supplies hangers paint and welding wire and so forth and I was right at $200... I'll get the Chrome tips once I get the bed on and know exactly where and how it's going to come out... But I was looking for both the duels to come out on the passenger side in front of the rear tire and not be too loud...

That is really reasonable for an exhaust system, I would not have welded the mufflers on, just clamped them.
The mufflers are usually the first thing to go on a truck.
I thought about that this morning before I got started and I almost did it but I figured one I'm going to paint it to make it a little bit more preserved which I know they Rush from the inside most of the time. Also I've made it quite easy to take on and off and doesn't need gaskets as headers are the ball and cut kind. Also I'll probably get some bigger different mufflers on down the line as well...
I'm sure quite a few things will get upgraded as the years go by. Right now the project is so massive it's just keeping it simple at this point.. and somewhat affordable...

Oh yeah and one more thing..(columbo..)
This was all done with my at least back then $89 Harbor Freight flux wire welder and $14 four and a half inch Harbor Freight grinder...
That in the welding helmet clothes wire tips and everything had to be bought brand new and thrown away when I was done would still be less than half of having a shop do it...

I use the crap out of the 4" HF cheap grinders, I think I have 4 of them, got tired of changing wheels, so I keep a different disk on each one.
I never grind a weld, it just makes it weaker. But will flatten a spot weld, if needed

Went snowmobiling today.. unexpectedly got no work tomorrow so I'll work on the exhaust hangers..
I ordered 4 cans of high heat paint.. should be here Saturday...

No work sucks, but have fun on your day off.
Haven't been snowmobilng in years.
Have a few 4-wheelers now, but they just mostly sit in the shed.

Got all of the exhaust hangers in place today.. had to weld some small tabs to the ends to ensure they came out together yet allowing me to take them on and off separately...
I finally figured out what that smell was when I was welding... It is the blue tape holding my cheap harbor freight welding gloves together burning..:lol:
Heat paint should be here Saturday so I'll likely paint them Sunday and install permanently when dry...
In the mean time I'll start on the passenger door. Seals, Windows, door latches, and so forth..
PXL_20220224_215459041.jpg
PXL_20220224_215524044.jpg

So I figure I need to start with these ramcharger mirrors. I looked up placement and the only thing I found was someone trying to put van mirrors on or something like that. They were saying to mount them just below the body line at 8 and 1/2 in to center but these have a contour to them as if they fit on the top body line?.. right now I'm fabbing up a backing plate for it for behind the door and also I need to find some kind of like bicycle inner tube or something and make a thin rubber gasket.
PXL_20220225_173916010.jpg
PXL_20220225_173359915.jpg

Also taped off the bottom metal of the window and I wire wheeled it a little bit to knock some of the surface rust off and treated it with the rust neutralizer....
Next I'll take some vinegar or something try and get the water stains off of it.....
PXL_20220225_174159714.jpg

I went with the 8 1/2 inches from the front of the door to center of mirror..
Put all of the new seals and whiskers in..
Got a text saying the door panels are ready to pick up..:thumbsup:..
I either need to find the right key or have one made for the door locks..:(...
Also rigged some wires to hold the window up while I put the regulator on..
PXL_20220226_015339747.jpg
PXL_20220226_003159478.jpg
PXL_20220225_210224291.jpg
IMG_20220225_191326.jpg

Also for those mirrors I got some stainless steel machine screws with nuts and lock washers..

-
Back