'74 Swinger

-

Swingin74

Reaction score
Heres my first car '74 Swinger Slant 6 auto :-D. Going to be a project till I get my liscense. Here are a few pics. I started this thread to ask a bunch of questions. And document progress. Question 1 I think a short is draining my battery somewheres any body have a clue on this? thanks

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

1974Dodge008.jpg

1974Dodge009.jpg

Nice start. Do you have the fender tag ? Im interested in knowing what color that is ?

Nice Dart Swinger swingin74.
Make sure your trunk light or under hood light are not on.
take a close look at it at night:thumleft: then pull the light bulb under the hood and make sure your key is off and doors shut and pull the negative battery
caple off and tutch the negative battery post with the negative cable and see if you have a spark
there, That will show you that you do have a short and not a bad battery.
You have been blest with a nice Mopar swingin!! :-D
That douse look like a color AdamR painted on his swinger.:thumrigh:
Do you know where the fender tag is? there should be a metel tag with numbers on the drivers side fender under the hood right on top.
it will have a paint code on it.
We will wait on a good tec to help you with your battery draining problem.
Some times its just a clove box light, That is why I check things like this when it is dark. Yep!! That is a nice swinger sir :thumleft::thumleft:

You may have what is caled a "parasitic" load on the battery. That simply means something is drawing power from the battery after you have shut the car down. It is very easy to check. Try to do this test in a garage or somewhere besides bright sunlight. The light could be difficult to see outdoors.
Disconnect the Negative battery cable and insert a 12V test light between the end of the cable and the battery post. (You are going to make an electrical bridge with the test light) Make certain ALL power is turned off -ignition switch, radio, dome light, hood and trunk light, brake lights, etc. Remember, a parasitic load is something still turned ON when it shouldn't be.

If the test light is OFF---turn something ON (dome light, radio, ignition switch, etc.) to test the light. It should light up. If this works, you do NOT have a parasitic load. I would have the battery tested.

If the test light is ON ---you have a parasitic load. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out. Remember the door switch must be off if you are under the dash with the door open. When the light goes out you have found the circuit which is causing your problem. Repair and re-test. I hope this helps, good luck, David

The battery draw could also be coming from the alternator. They sometimes short out internally and still work. Just remove the large battery wire from the back of the alternator with the test light hooked up as explained above. If the test light goes out, get a new alternator.

Nice start. Do you have the fender tag ? Im interested in knowing what color that is ?
The fender tag is gone. I do however have the build sheet. I will check that in a minute. I beleive it is FM5 however.

Nice Dart Swinger swingin74.
Make sure your trunk light or under hood light are not on.
take a close look at it at night:thumleft: then pull the light bulb under the hood and make sure your key is off and doors shut and pull the negative battery
caple off and tutch the negative battery post with the negative cable and see if you have a spark
there, That will show you that you do have a short and not a bad battery.
You have been blest with a nice Mopar swingin!! :-D
That douse look like a color AdamR painted on his swinger.:thumrigh:
Do you know where the fender tag is? there should be a metel tag with numbers on the drivers side fender under the hood right on top.
it will have a paint code on it.
We will wait on a good tec to help you with your battery draining problem.
Some times its just a clove box light, That is why I check things like this when it is dark. Yep!! That is a nice swinger sir :thumleft::thumleft:

You may have what is caled a "parasitic" load on the battery. That simply means something is drawing power from the battery after you have shut the car down. It is very easy to check. Try to do this test in a garage or somewhere besides bright sunlight. The light could be difficult to see outdoors.
Disconnect the Negative battery cable and insert a 12V test light between the end of the cable and the battery post. (You are going to make an electrical bridge with the test light) Make certain ALL power is turned off -ignition switch, radio, dome light, hood and trunk light, brake lights, etc. Remember, a parasitic load is something still turned ON when it shouldn't be.

If the test light is OFF---turn something ON (dome light, radio, ignition switch, etc.) to test the light. It should light up. If this works, you do NOT have a parasitic load. I would have the battery tested.

If the test light is ON ---you have a parasitic load. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out. Remember the door switch must be off if you are under the dash with the door open. When the light goes out you have found the circuit which is causing your problem. Repair and re-test. I hope this helps, good luck, David

The battery draw could also be coming from the alternator. They sometimes short out internally and still work. Just remove the large battery wire from the back of the alternator with the test light hooked up as explained above. If the test light goes out, get a new alternator.

Thanks for the help, I will check those, take pics and see how it goes. Thanks again.

It's still a project until it sells, by the way. Got it running, thoguht it was the map light, switch was pulled out. Now it is dead again. Looks like I will have to get a test light.

Hey there, I have a 74 Dart with the same paint but I have a black interior and it "had" a black vinyl roof as well at one time. Both my fender tag and my build sheet which I found behind my rear seat back, give the paint code as "KJ6", which is Avecado Gold Poly. Look for my post under Restorations thread labeled 74 Dart Swinger. I plan on showing all the steps of my clean-up and fix-up of my car. I am 14 years old and the car is a "father-son project" until I get my license.

-
Back