74 to 72

-

RPMLegends18

Reaction score
can I take the rear end off of a 72 swinger and put it on my 74? By this I mean the 1/4 extensions, trunk lid, bumper, rear valiance...everything? I have everything from the doors foward on my 74...just curious.

Thanks,
Ryan

sounds like alot of work lol i remember when i wanted my 74 duster to have the same 72 front as my brother's duster but that would of been a bolt on job.

the rear would need a lot of welding and cutting.. but im not sure.

Actually a rear clip is what you are considering, and it really isn't that difficult except for the rockers...

Remove the rear window,seats, carpet, pull the headliner back(or out).
Grind out the factory filler in the sail panel between the back windows and the rear window, cut all the spot welds, same on the inside. There is a bunch.

Clean off the factory undercoating inside the car under the front seat where it has a seam in the middle, cut all those spot welds.

Here is where the pain is, the rocker panels have a lot of reinforcement in them and if you can slightly overlap the old and new, and weld them solid you'll be ok.

Get it all apart, get the new clip ready to fit with the rest of the body(straighten the edges where it joins, and start working it back
together.

Measure the Wheelbase! b4 and after until you get it back to where it belongs, fit the rear window in, check and recheck, measure diagonally to get it square(spring perch holes or any reference point b4 and after).

patience will get you there.

Yep it is a pain but doable, even by a novice, just may not be "worth" doing.

More work is to take the skins off, the 72, but I think the trunk is different inside, and things may not line up right.... hmmm

are you just wanting to make the back end of your car look like the 1972 style. if so all you need to change is the 1/4 extensions, rear bumper tail lights bumper(with brackets) and the lower valiance.

Yes Im just trying to do what canner said...just take the quater extensions, bumper and valiance...but i wasnt sure if the quater extensions would bolt up to the quater panels

There was a guy that showed up at Big Daddy's show about 6 years ago that entered a 70 340 swinger.

It was so funny. It had a 74 firewall,dash, ventless windows, 1 piece belts,interior, A/C system, front suspension and brakes, etc.

No data tag but he kept pointing to the 70 vin tag.

When he opened the trunk, you could see where the 1970 side marker lights and surrounding sheetmetal were welded in to the 1/4 panels.

And the vin tag was attached with pop rivets.

The irony is the stupid judge gave him a 3rd place trophy and he was parked next to a perfectly restored stripper 340 Swinger who got nothing.
I protested but to no avail and almost got thrown out.......
I mentioned that I thought the judge was a blind Chevy fan that thought all heater fans, brake lines and various wiring harnesses were installed BEFORE they painted the car.

I never went back.

I forgot to add.... all you need are the extensions, bumpers,and lights as far as I remember.

Well, I was/am thinking of the same thing. But the tail panel will also have to be changed. On a 72 the tail lights are in the bumper, the 74 are on the car. above the bumper. The 72 bumper will not even bolt to the 74 car with out cutting holes in the tail panel of the 74. The trunk and extensions are a direct swap. Of course all this is what i think i remember. I will have to take pis of both when i get home.

bump on this subject...i'm just tried of looking at the *** end of this thing and that 72 is just sitting there begging for it lol.....

www.breakstuffracing.com this guy does awsome work.Ive tried to email him to ask if he is a memeber here,but never gotten a reply.He turned a 76? dart slant six into a 70 340 clone,kind of,and it is awsome imo.It looked awsome as a slant six car once he got it painted and interior done.

If I remember correct you will have to change the tail panel. Take the bumpers and tail lights off both cars and look. The tail panel (between the rear 1/4 extensions) are different. You will have to drill out all the spot welds from the 1/4, the trunk latch, and the trunk floor. The 1/4 panels are the same. Side marker light should be the same.

ok this weekend Ill start taking both of them off...i will take many pics to keep you guys updated to see whether or not it can be done and if my very novice abilities at body work can pull it off. Id also like to take the doors of and swap them onto my car. I love wing windows, is this a wise idea?

I have a set of both. I put one of each on the car. I do like the clean look of the solid glass, but I just love the style of the vent. I have an A/C car but with the vents I will not need it to much here in KY.

well rain killed my plans for doing that this weekend...agree I like the look of the clean one peice glass but Im just a sucker for the vents..

Well I finally did it. Pictures will be up sometime this week I am hoping. I have not installed the rear valance on the car do to the fact that it is completely smashed up from the donor car. So I am thinking of going fiberglass with that or finding one in a little better shape. I also got the 72 wing window doors on it as well. Now its time to get it all one color....and straight lol

-
Back