75 Scamp suggestions

-

slant6slinger

Reaction score
Hello, I am 16 about to be 17, and I have had a 75 Scamp in my family since about 91 or 92. At this point shes sitting in the drive screaming for help. As far as I know at the moment, it needs a new brake line, new brakes and rotors, a new battery, a new power steering pump, new tires, and of course plenty of body work. It is an automatic 3.6L? Slant 6. It does have a good bit of body rust toward the point where theres holes in the trunk area. Id like to know if theres a better way other than Bondo to fix body rust. Also I would like to drop a 318 with a 4 speed tranny MUCH later down the road. But sticking with the automatic, is there any performance parts I can put underneath the hood that wont eat away my engine and trans? Also what would be a good color paint for a teen that owns a TRUE american muscle car? Thanks

First off welcome to FABO. I think your first step is to get it running and driving. Which means fixing the parts that need to be replaced. You would be surprised at what your local parts supplier will have in stock. Bondo doesnt fix rust. Best way to fix rust is to cut it out and put new metal in.

If you have plans in the works to swap it someday I would just give it a GOOD tune up for now and drive it. Keep the money you save on gas and put it towards your V8 someday.

welcome to FABO!! Don't put bondo on rust ever, it doesn't fix it just hides it. like 72scamptramp said, new metal is the only real way to fix rust. And again replace the parts that need to be replaced and get it going again and just drive it. And yes any photos? Good luck!!

Don't put bondo on rust ever, it doesn't fix it just hides it.
this.
Only do that if you're looking to fix it up for a quick sale.

(and that was a joke, of course:angel9:)

Welcome- as far as color goes, it's up to you to pick a color you like :)

...but we still like pics.

Welcome, you will find a wealth of knowledge here don't be afraid to ask questions.

Hey slantsixslinger. I was kind of in the same boat as you. I got my 75 scamp for my 20th birthday as a present. It was a basket case, tons of rot,bondo, and ugly paint. With lots of ambition, and hard work you can do pretty much anything to your scamp. Check out my build thread. I to had a /6 automatic and then dropped in a 360 and a 4 speed. heres the link to my build.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=52638

Get it going is the first step.

I had a '76 Scamp, I made it look a lot better by changing the markers to '71 style and then sinking in the bumpers. Get rid of the bumper guards to.

If you can find a '73 or '74 Duster/Valiant/Scamp, you might like the grille even better.
If you use the grille, get the grille support and headlight bezels to because they are different.

I would like to have another Scamp. One that does not have as much bondo in it as the one I had.

Cutting out the metal and replacing it is the only way to go. Fiberglass is only a band aid as it will generally rust out around the area that was glassed.

wait wait wait FIRST THING FIRST IS GET PICTURES after that if you are single STAY THAT WAY If you have a girlfriend your going to wana sit her down and explain your new LOVE INTREST from there on get it running and start finding parts once you have enough parts to start switching out thats a great time to start no point in taking apar all of your suspension and what not later to take it apart all over again to change somthing out same goes witht the interior get it all and do it at one easy time

In my book, good muscle car colors depend on the era, and the brand. The Chrysler products of the 1970's were the most liberal with their use of color, so you have a wide range to choose from. I'm keeping my Duster the subdued F8 Green, but I like Vitamin C, and Sassy Grass from the High Impact range. Nothing says muscle like Tor Red, and you can never go wrong with black (if you love block sanding, and don't live on a dirt road, that is).

Have fun!

Mopardrt, that's very true, and it was one of the non-original choices I had briefly considered for my car. Any of the high impact colors are very Mopar. I don't think I would feel comfortable driving a pink or purple car, but lots of people like those, also.

Actually, Slinger, as a young unmarried guy, the In Violet makes a lot of sense. Your buddies might give you the business, but I bet girls would be all over it. Hmm, now I have some thinking to do.

i would go plum crazy on a challenger and panther pink on a 1970 roadrunner anyday

Welcome to the site, and whatever you do, don't bondo it!
It will last 1 year at the most and wreck the body overall with the trapped moisture in that time.
Great to hear another young gun wants to fix up an a-body.
Ask lots of questions here, you will get lots of help.
Yes, pics pics pics!
Give us something to chew on.

Key is the year. I think all the cool colors were gone by the time the grills got big. I have a friend (BossVega on this forum) who had a '73 Valiant hardtop back in '92, which he painted lime light / sublime. It looked right, as does your Dart.

Also, AdamR had a Moulin Rouge E body 'Cuda back when I had my '67 Dart. It had a 440. If people were talkin' ****, they were doing it behind our backs. It takes a certain kind of car to wear pink.

So Slinger, what is the original color of the car? Given the history of that car in your family, it might be cool to keep it the same. Certain low-key colors can look really sophisticated once you slap on some rallys (or your wheel of choice) with fat RWL tires, and delete the side moulding (if you have it). A tail stripe, a go wing, and scoop just takes it further. My friend has a '75 Scamp slant in silver cloud poly with black interior that I just know is going to look great once it gets some wheels on it.

Oh, and I intentionally ignored the bondo question, since if you aren't taking the good advice of all the others who commented, my two cents won't matter. But here is something to consider. Get yourself a Mig welder. I have a small Lincoln SP100 that I've had for 17 years. They are nice, but you can get a cheapo flux core 110v from Harbor Freight for something like $150 or less if on sale. Most will advise the MIG conversion. I have never used flux core, so I have no argument. I would put other stuff on hold if you have to, or ask for it for christmas, birthday, etc. Then go to a body shop, and see if they will let you have some twisted scrap to work with. Then get a book (or view online instructionals) and practice practice practice. It took me a long time to "get it," but now I can butt weld panels, and fab up all kinds of stuff. Then you get the word out through your friends, and take on side jobs which will eventually pay for the welder (and then some).

-
Back