750 carb on a big block.

-

dodge69hemi

Reaction score
i have a 383 in my 70 dart and has rebuilt stock heads, .545 comp cam, bored 30 over, 3000/3200 stall. other than that its stock. my question is what size carb do i need. im thinkin a 750 edelbrock with an electric choke. too big? should i go with a manual choke? any suggestions? thanks.

CFM is fine, no performance gain with a manual choke.

i have a 383 in my 70 dart and has rebuilt stock heads, .545 comp cam, bored 30 over, 3000/3200 stall. other than that its stock. my question is what size carb do i need. im thinkin a 750 edelbrock with an electric choke. too big? should i go with a manual choke? any suggestions? thanks.

I was running an Edlebrock AVS 800cfm on my daily Driver '68 Dart w/ 383 (bored .060 over)/ 2800 Stall/ 3.91 gears. It was fine for tooling around the streets...

Recently, just for shyt and grins, went to a Holley 750 Dual Feed...

Both have electric choke and vacuum secondaries (the Eddy has AVS)

And so I find :

Definitely faster with the Holley..but it's temperamental, especially when cold

Definitely easier to live with the Eddy..." Set it and forget it".. although it does have stumbling issues when the car's heeled over in a tight U-Turn.

Pick yer poison..8)

With that cam and converter I wouldn't go less than a 750, what intake manifold are you running and what rear gears.

Terry

I've got an 850 annular Demon on my 440. Starts good, runs good, easy to tune. No choke at all on it. I've always had bad experiences with Edelbrocks stumbling, don't think I'll ever buy another.

i have a 440 in my barracuda,pretty stock engine although the motor originally had a six pack carb settup and still has the cam <prior to me buying engine>was totalled,im now running it with a holley 750 vac sec<cars a 4 speed> wondering if id much benefit from a cam swap and what to replace with? car just for street use and hopfully occasional run but not serious strip.oh, its a dual plane edelbrock inlet, have points dizzy, msd 6a ignition,shumacker hedders,what sorta power should i be getting? i have no idea my compression ratio

well, how big is the cam? cause cause if its about .480 to .550, it should be fine. any bigger or any smaller cam will result in the need for a different carb. i mean i posted this a while back, and i just went ahead and bought an edlebrock 750 elct. choke. for my 383 and it runs fine. so i suggest you base it all off of your cam.

cheers for that, it was originally a 318, real crisp and livley, had to swap it to 440, just trying to release its potential,with a manual gearbox i love it!

-
Back