750 Holley or Proform?

-

dartkory

Reaction score
I think im gonna finally give up on getting my edelbrock to stop burning so rich cause I have tried everything but from what i have heard and read, holley's seem to be a much better carb for performance, plus its the one the engine master guys used when building there 400hp 318 which is what i built. but I have also heard some good things about proform. Do you guys have any preference? Thanks -Kory

What's the build? Fuel pressure, Ignition timing at idle? Lots of "carb" issues aren't the carb itself.

its a 318 with keith black pistons. I have eddy rpm heads on it so the compression is right around 9.5:1. I have a regulator on it and have the pressure set right at 6 psi. I am not sure what the timing is at because I dont have a timing tab on it but I have it set where it runs at peak performance. but I have messed with the timing so much and in such small increments but it burns rich no matter where I put it or how much I jet it down. The one time it didnt burn real rich is when I put it 3 stages lean but as soon as I would even touch the gas it would fall on its face and starve the motor.

too much PSI on an ede carb, IMO. Turn it down to 5, 5.5 at most. Make sure the floats are adjusted properly too.

If you don't know the initial timing, you can't properly tune the engine. Find a timing light and get a tab on it. Even if it only for where TDC is. If it's got any kind of cam in it, my bet it's going to need 14+ initial.

so from what I have read on other forums I think i am gonna give up the idea of considering a Proform carb, but I have been looking at the Demon 750cfm carb now and was just wondering what you guys that have ran them think of them. Thanks -Kory

I run a Bigs 750 Stage 5 carb. This carb runs awesome. Call Jesse at Bigs Performance Carbs 1-715-835-3726. He custom builds them for your combination.

Fred B

I have used several proform carbs...just bought a 750 dual feed/double pump with electric choke on e-bay for 439.66 delivered. I like the options,fuel bowl site glasses and other things....don't believe a holly ,comparable, can be had for that price and I have gotten good performance/mileage out of the other proforms bought

I found and purchased an original style timing tab off ebay and im waiting for it to be delivered so I can set the timing where it should be. I just really feel it needs a carb more for performance, and I feel that a 750 will be just right. has anyone ran the demon carbs at all? they look great but I'd much rather have a great performing carb then just a carb that looks great. Thanks -Kory

Take any new carb completely apart and blow out all the passages. Plenty have been found with shavings in them.

Demons are nice but full of crap, ie shavings, bits, you name it. Proform carbs are awesome. My speed shop guy runs one and loves it and he took off 2 demons before settling on this Proform. Any carb can have junk in it, but many Demons had junk in them from the factory! This speed shop (Santa Ana speed, CA) built 20 motors using new Demons. 18 came back with carb issues. They cleaned them out and gave the BG rep 1/2 a dime bag full of machining crud out of those 18 carbs..The BG rep said they were "aware" of the problem and they were working on a fix....Ha! If you want a good Demon that has someone to support it, get it from Don at FBO, he runs the carbs before he ships them and stands behind them 100%.

installed the profrom...removed the demon and a nice difference in performance,idle, and getting off the line. I'm not a dealer but proform has done Me well again.

-
Back