7509 Alternator with 7930B Regulator

-

mopardude62

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a hot rod and has a Tuff Stuff 7509/7930B charging setup. I'm not real familiar with this type of charging system but from what I can figure out it is some type of Chevrolet inspired one-wire setup. Anyway one of the shop guys took the alternator off to replace the bearings and did not draw a picture of how this regulator was connected. I have the alternator fixed but cannot figure out how to hook up the little regulator. There is a red wire, green, black and blue. Can someone explain to me how this is connected? I can find references to the regulator itself but no wiring diagram.

Did you ever find out how to wire this up. I'm also interested, I have the same alternator with the regulator on the back of the alternator, I was wondering whether I should bypass the body mounted regulator and use the one on the alternator,but which wire goes where??

Ok, I sorted it out. I've taken the regulator off the alternator and I'm using a Bosch RE55 regulator in place of the old one. I have taken one side of the field and grounded it to the base. The other side of the field goes to the regulator and then there is the battery cable left. The blue wire I''ve just cut off & blanked off with tape.

The blue wire I''ve just cut off & blanked off with tape.

............And we have no idea what that means. A quick google shows that regulator wires up just like the pre-70 regulators, IE ground it, wire the F terminal to the field, if you have a newer isolated field alternator you ground the remaining field, and then run the IGN terminal of the regulator to SWITCHED IGNITION RUN

I dearly hope you did not run it to full time battery, or the circuit will drain your battery

-
Back