76-78 Head, Rocker Shaft Bolt Question

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I have a later model head, 3696447. I did not get the rocker shaft or gear with the head. My question is on the last rocker shaft bolt, instead of the earlier 7/16 x 14 bolt, it is drilled for a 5/16 x 18 bolt. I can come up with a grade five bolt but what about the rocker arm retainer. Do I need a retainer with the smaller diameter of the bolt. If so anyone with a part number or one to sell? Thanks

This is the bolt you're looking for
2017-11-12 10.07.27.jpg

I have a $20. that says if u use a grade 5 5/16" bolt and a grade 8 sae washer and properly torqued, with all the shaft bolts torqued, = no problem

I have a $20. that says if u use a grade 5 5/16" bolt and a grade 8 sae washer and properly torqued, with all the shaft bolts torqued, = no problem

And yet, still no answer to whether you've actually done this and had it work. How 'bout that!

Tellya what: You try out this halfaѕѕed kluge on your engine, keep careful track of top-end oiling and leakage past your incorrect washer, and then come back here and tell us how much money you think the idea's worth.

There's a good reason Chrysler used a curved-on-one-side, flat-on-the-other retainer, and I bet you can figure it out if you give it a few seconds' thought. Flat washers are cheaper than the correct part, and Chrysler never met a half a cent they didn't try to squeeze out of everything they built—they were like most every other car company that way.

And since we're on the topic, if your suggestion had merit I'd love to know what you think justifies a grade-5 (specifically) bolt and a grade-8 (specifically) washer. But it doesn't, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I have the bolt and retainer that you need. I would be glad to ship it to you if are coming to the Slant 6 Spring Nationals in April 2018 at Mo-Kan Dragway.
If you are not going to make the race, I'm not sure I have the bolt.
The factory bolt is grade 8 and sure is nice.

We have used a 5/16 non step grade 8 bolt on the Lancer for about 15 years with increased valve spring pressure over stock with no problems.
I will get bolt mailed to you within a couple of days. Sure would like to see your wagon.

Mark

I am saying use the 7/16" shaft retainer that U have with a 5/16" grade 8 washer on top. I have not needed to try this exact deal, but I know mechanical engineering in the real world, and slantracer has had no problems in 15 years with increased valve springs

anyone with a part number

From the '82 FPC (which would cover your late-model parts):

Screw, rocker shaft retainer: 3870 322 (one per engine, 5/16-18 × 2.28"—might be nonstandard)

Screw, rocker shaft retainer: 0179 745 (six per engine, 3/8-16 × 1.75", full thread)

Retainer, rocker shaft, centre: 1947 617 (one per engine)

Retainer, rocker shaft, ends and intermediate: 1947 616 (six per engine)

Those retainers are the same P/Ns going all the way back to '60. Not much luck to be had shopping for these parts new, but someone ought to be able to cough any of 'em up for you on here or, more likely, on .org once it's back up and running again.

I have the bolt and retainer that you need. I would be glad to ship it to you if are coming to the Slant 6 Spring Nationals in April 2018 at Mo-Kan Dragway.
If you are not going to make the race, I'm not sure I have the bolt.
The factory bolt is grade 8 and sure is nice.

We have used a 5/16 non step grade 8 bolt on the Lancer for about 15 years with increased valve spring pressure over stock with no problems.
I will get bolt mailed to you within a couple of days. Sure would like to see your wagon.

Mark

Hey Mark
Thanks for the hook up, again....
But I am conflicted. Are you helping me with defective parts so my Wag won't run your car down on the big end?
I am with you on getting together. I have set a goal to get it on the road. I work a little everyday, no excuses. If there is any way I can get there I will. I still have this stupid AIRBUS job getting between me and my life, but so do a lot of folks.

upload_2017-11-14_19-40-42.png

Last edited:
Dan
From the '82 FPC (which would cover your late-model parts):
Dan
Thanks I will do some searching, won't be the only peanut style head I will be running.
We talked about some articals on the slant six 4 barrel intake manifold. I can't find the one with the aluminum kit, but I do have some .pdf's on the person who was doing them. Jim Kuhl was his name. Not sure the best way to supply the info to the web page.

Those articles about Slant-6 builds by Jim Kuhl and Doug Antler go wayyyyyy back to the '60s. I have old photocopies of them somewhere, but if you've got good-quality scans, email 'em to me, willya?

(I have a set of the Gotha cast iron 1.6:1 rockers mentioned in one or the other of those articles)

-
Back