76 duster Transmission??

-

dusterduane

Reaction score
Hi i was looking at getting a transmission for my 76 duster. I am swapping the slant 6 for a 360 and need a transmission im looking at a plymouth fury transmission not sure of the year at this time but i think the car is lean burn if that helps with the year? I was wondering what transmissions will fit without alot of work? I guess the transmission is a 727 or 904? Im new and not realy sure.

All passenger car 904 and 727 transmissions were the same length if that is what you mean. The same tailshaft was used for A/B/C/E bodies. The only exceptions would be some truck applications.

You may run in to some problems linkage-wise though, such as kickdown linkage.

904 IS NOT the same length as a 727. If you have a 904 now, (most likely) you could swap in the v8 904 and it will all bolt up, driveshaft linkage and all. If you go to a 727, you will need to shorten the drivshaft, as the 727 is longer. Its a pretty easy deal either way.

As mentioned, any 904 or 727 will work, but it has to be from a small block.

360 are externally balanced from the factory and the OEM converter has weights welded on. If you get a trans/converter combo from a 318, you will need to get a 360 converter, B&M flexplate for an externally balanced 360 or a Mopar Perf. weight kit and follow instruction as to which weights need to be welded where. (The B&M flexplate is round but has weight cut out to make it balance properly.)

In the 1980's, transmissions started going to lock-up converters. You can't swap lock-up converter for a non-lock-up. You can tell if it's a lock-up if the tip of the converter input shaft is machined smooth, about 3/4"-1". "Regular" transmissions have the splines all the way to the tip. Converter balance issues also apply here.

A 727 trans will require a shorter driveshaft than a 904 because a 727 is longer. The driveshaft slip-spline yokes do not interchange between a 727 and 904. Make sure your driveshaft u-joint at the rear matches your rear end yoke. If you had a 904 behind the slant 6, the same driveshaft will work with any other 904 trans. (Not sure about interchangability with manual transmissions.)

Make sure you get the kickdown linkages correct. Otherwise it can reduce trans life.

The 904 trans, like I have in my Dart Sport is somewhat lighter and therefore has less drag than the 727, but the 727 is bigger and somewhat heavier and sometimes prefered if you plan on abusing it. The 904 is no softie either as some guys prefer it(including some drag racers) as it has a lower set of gears than the 727. If you plan on loads of HP then go with 727 but the 904 is good to a point too.
My car has about 325HP, enough for fun but not too drastic.

The 904 is no softie either as some guys prefer it(including some drag racers) as it has a lower set of gears than the 727. .

The 904 went to a 2.71 low gear set in the '80's, about the same time as going to lock-up converters. Otherwise, all 727 and 904's all had a 2.45 low gear. You can swap it into an older, non-lock-up trans, but you have to know which parts to swap as a set.

Just a shift kit will help prolong the life of any OEM trans, as well as an extra cooler. Built right, both take a lot of abuse. I run a 904 in my race car.

Hi, i have another question for you, i have a 904 lined up for the 360 but the 904 is out of a 74 challanger with a 318. How hard should it be to get the torque and flex plate for the 360? will a truck torque work?Its hard to find cars around here with a 360.

Thanks

Duane

The 904 trans, like I have in my Dart Sport is somewhat lighter and therefore has less drag than the 727, but the 727 is bigger and somewhat heavier and sometimes prefered if you plan on abusing it. The 904 is no softie either as some guys prefer it(including some drag racers) as it has a lower set of gears than the 727. If you plan on loads of HP then go with 727 but the 904 is good to a point too.
My car has about 325HP, enough for fun but not too drastic.

You can use the original, neutral balanced 318/904 torque converter if you buy the appropriate counterweighted B&M flexplate. Only other option is the Mopar Performance converter weight kit that must be positioned and welded on the neutral converter when using a neutral flexplate.

-
Back