77’ 440 rebuild

-

Bill Mandaro

Reaction score
Howdy, I recently got my hands on a 1975 Dodge Dart with a 1977 440 swap. I’m rebuilding the motor now and I’ve been doing some research on how I can pull good power outta it. It currently has the 452 heads which I’ve heard are decent but I might be able to get my hands on a set of 915’s. I don’t know much but I’ve heard the 915’s are very desirable. Is it worth the cash or should I keep what I got?

Keep what you have, just make sure your compression is around 10 to 1. 452"s are like 906 but they have hardened valve seat.

Thank you I really appreciate the help, what would you recommend as far as a cam and pistons go. I have the stock pistons and they seem good but the cam needs to be replaced
Keep what you have, just make sure your compression is around 10 to 1. 452"s are like 906 but they have hardened valve seat.

I would go with a full rebuild, Machine the block, bore the cylinders. You can use 6 pack pistons, to get the compression where you need it. The cam all depends on what you are using the car for, (driving style).

I would go with a full rebuild, Machine the block, bore the cylinders. You can use 6 pack pistons, to get the compression where you need it. The cam all depends on what you are using the car for, (driving style).
I wanna be able to take my wife out with it but also haul ***, my buddies build jdm ricers so I’d like to blow past them. I wa a looking at a comp camshaft COMP Cams 23-362-5 COMP Cams Drag Race Camshafts | Summit Racing

I would say that cam is a little radical, it sounds like you should use a cam in the 230-to-240-degree duration at .050. The cam you picked out will need a 3000 thousand + converter headers. I would scale it back so you can enjoy the car. Some aftermarket heads would also help out the power numbers.

Last edited:
I agree kbr577. That cam is going to idle around 900 to 1k rpm. You better have stock in Exxon, lol. It is designed for heads that flow a lot more than what you have in mind. Get a different head for that cam.

This cam would be much better and still run good. Comp 23 232 4
I'd be very tempted to get some E street heads for what it cost to rebuild a stock set.

Depends on their condition. Check for straight, performance valve job, guides, machine for duel springs at the least. Gasket match and bowl port if you want.

If it was mine, I would get compression in the 9.5 range, run this cam, Magnum Muscle 222/226 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chrysler 383-440 a good hot ignition curve, some HP manifolds or headers, Eddy RPM intake, 750 DP and hold on. Save the money for the fancy rockers and use it on something else. They don't add power.
Okay that’s awesome thank you! What would you recommend as far as carbs? I almost got my hands on a decent priced 6 pack, is that worth it tho?

Okay that’s awesome thank you! What would you recommend as far as carbs? I almost got my hands on a decent priced 6 pack, is that worth it tho?
I told you in the post. 750 dp. I wouldn't mess with a six pack. Remember the braggin rights thing?

I told you in the post. 750 dp. I wouldn't mess with a six pack. Remember the braggin rights thing?
If you don’t mind me picking your brain some more, what would you recommend for pistons and would you agree with what the others said about prepping my 452 heads?

Yessir thank you, sorry I didn’t know what the 750 dp was. I appreciate your help
Holley style 750 double pumper. I would use a Quick Fuel brand though. They have much more adjustability.

Howdy, I recently got my hands on a 1975 Dodge Dart with a 1977 440 swap. I’m rebuilding the motor now and I’ve been doing some research on how I can pull good power outta it. It currently has the 452 heads which I’ve heard are decent but I might be able to get my hands on a set of 915’s. I don’t know much but I’ve heard the 915’s are very desirable. Is it worth the cash or should I keep what I got?
What is your goal for the car ? It's much easier to help you when you have an idea, obviously you want a 440 in a dart so you want to have some fun.

If you don’t mind me picking your brain some more, what would you recommend for pistons and would you agree with what the others said about prepping my 452 heads?
I would use a modern version of the six pack piston.....or the six pack pistons themselves. A lot of people will tell you they're heavy and they are in comparison, but at your power level, they'll be a good addition. Any piston that can get zero deck height is what you want. The heads will be fine, but if then need guide and seat work and new valves, you may want to look at aftermarket aluminum heads as the price to fix iron heads gets expensive quick.

-
Back