77 cordoba 360, should I buy it or not guys?

-

360-68cudu

Reaction score
" 360 motor from a 77 cordoba. has been sitting for eight years but ran prior to that." $50 dollars gets it !!! Originally asking for 100.

What are the pros and cons?

What questions should I ask?

What to look and check for?

Check for:

Easy spinning. Bring a breaker bar, 1-1/2 inch extension and a socket for the crank bolt. Will it turn? (for $100, do you care?!?!)

Check for broken valve springs.

Questions to ask;

Will you take $50 for this Lump?

"Pro's and Con's" are;

A cheap 360 is the no brained pro. If it needed a rebuild, the price of this thing, even at the asking price is a cheap entry fee.

If it is able to be used as is, the engine's possible instant con would be a change
Of gaskets. Having done this myself, be prepared for this. Easy way out?
Purchase a MoPar engine tear down gasket set.

A nice thing about the smog year engines is the ability to use cheap gas. Add a mild cam and 4 bbl. w/headers and it'll make a nice cruiser with decent power on 87 octane.
A mild head milling will get you to 9.0-1. You'll not need more than that for good power. Add a new timing chain set up with a head milling and you'll be in good shape.

If it is not turning by hand, load up the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil and let sit. Come back daily to atempt turning it. Refill cylinders as needed. Take care not to be to ruff on breaking the seal on a stuck engine.

I've done this before with very good results. Sometimes it takes the engine a little while to re-seal itself up and the rings to work well again. Remember, you just drowned the thing with Marvel Mystery oil. It'll smoke for a bit. The more you use the engine, the better it should get. Unless it is just simply shot out.

Thanks rumblefish360, really great info :). The guy said he would take $50 for it already. So my bigggest worry is if the block turns over and damaged spring. I'm looking to call him later on today and maybe bring it home, I want to make sure I'm not forgetting any thing. Wish me luck you guys. I'm actually really excited.

-
Back