77 model 440 and trans?

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
I found a 77 model 440 long block (and trans) that I can pick up for around $300-$400. I am pretty sure these came out of an RV. Anyway I have thought about picking them up to put in my 70 Duster. However I know that both motor and trans will need a rebuild.

I haven't had a motor built in years. :scratch: So what kind of price range would a good rebuild cost? Something along the lines of cleaning the block, valve job, higher compression pistons, new rods, new cam and lifters. :scratch: I already have a 360 and could build that if I choose, but I was thinking that IF was close to the same cost to build, just buy the 440 :scratch:

It all depends on how wild you get with it.

Basic engine rebuild = $1000-$1500
Performance rebuild = $3000-$5000
Race motor = $6000+
Schumacher swap kit = $750

Go hang out on BigBlockDarts.com for a while to get a better idea of what's involved.

It will definately be more..and, BTW, if the trans is from an RV, the internals and case are good, but the mainshaft and tail are useless for a car or normal truck. Stay with the 360..If you want more cubes, and a longer stroke than the 440, add a 4" MP crank for 408 ci.

It will definately be more..and, BTW, if the trans is from an RV, the internals and case are good, but the mainshaft and tail are useless for a car or normal truck. Stay with the 360..If you want more cubes, and a longer stroke than the 440, add a 4" MP crank for 408 ci.

Whats the difference? Curious as I have one also that I am not sure what I am doing with yet. Thanks

I just did a 383, new everything except conecting rods, milds porting on heads,stainleess seats,new dual springs,,,,new cam ,kb pistons,balanced,polshed crank,30 over block and decked,cam bearings,new 770holly,edelbrock rpm intake,holly fuel pump,new valve covers,,,,,,,,3400.00 for parts and machineing. as for the tranny,,,727's are everywhere easy to find and cheap

-
Back