'78-400, Alt. & pulley?'s

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I have just brought home my '71 Duster. It has a '78, B block 400. The radiator and water pump for the late year 400 are all set up, line up and work. It was a A/C set up. I will not be using the A/C. This cause's a problem with the pulley's. The A/C guided the belt past the W/P and did not go around/or use the W/P pulley. Without the A/C pump, I have the belt hitting the W/P.

And for pulleys, I would like to use the March serpentine pulleys with a single belt. (The car has manual steering.)
I would like to use an earlier Alternator and bracket set up. Can I use an older set up on the later W/P housing? I'm hoping the earlier Alt. & bracket can be used and clear the belt issue up with it all being lined up with the March pulleys.

Has anybody done this?

what are you calling "earlier" and "later". I had a ton of brackets and pulleys from the mid 60s to late 70s, nothing worked out right. I just got fed up and just bought new crank pulley, water pump pulley, alternator bracket. maybe p/s bracket too, from bouchilon and 440source.
i do have the march serpentine setup on my dart with manual steering. if you are going with those pulleys, why not get the alternator bracket too?

Right now the front of the '78, 400 is stock minus the missing A/C.
The passenger side is where the water pump picks up from and the thermostat goes to the driver side.

Sorry about the sideways picture. Taken via phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 179
So your running the big police alternator? Will the march serpentine pulley work on that? It looks like you could get away with just a water pump pulley and pick up one of the other crank grooves. I'll take a look at my duster later.

The Alt. there is what is normally seen on later years. The engine is a '78-400 codes HP.
That Alt. also came on my '79 - 360 engine. Not a police package car.

I have not measured the diameter of it. I didn't think of it actually. Good thinking. I'll do that later.
And the deeper pulley, one of the places you mentioned would have it?

I took a pic of my setup but I won't be able to load it to photobucket for while. I have a deep pulley that covers the whole water pump. One belt runs the water pump and alternator.

Thanks for the help. I'll be at 440source tomorrow for that and a thing or two more.

Ahhhh, nothing a little patch panel won't fix. The frame rail is something I have tried to purchase from here before. Again, "Tried" to purchase. If I can not get seone to use a sazall, I'm going to have to try and build my own. Actually, the son-in-law wants a crack at it. (The whole car)

It was eaten up from the battery long before I had the car.

that's crazy, the battery did that. how is the rest of the bb duster setup? headers or manifolds? auto trans? what rear? just curious.

that's crazy, the battery did that. how is the rest of the bb duster setup? headers or manifolds? auto trans? what rear? just curious.

James! So sorry I missed this.

The 400P code/727 came from '78 Cordoba. It has...

Summit air cleaner
800 electric choke TQ
Holley Street Dominator
B body headers
MSD
440 Source aluminum W/P and housing, pullies, brackets andAlt.
Summit aluminum rad. Son in laws electric fan.
Shumacher torque strap.

The 727 is stock except for the deep pan.

The rear is a 8-3/4 W/4.86's and & Dr. Diff high strength axles, rides on S/S springs w/275/60/15's stock fronts
A B&M shifter and summit racing buckets.

Awaiting funds for heads and roller cam/rockers.

Cheap, easy, fun beater designed to run light to light cleaning clocks on the cheap. Nothing more, nothing less.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 118
Most of what is seen Here is FABO sourced.
I got the Duster from Bubba here.
The engine & trans from. FBBO member
Rear & gears seperatly from a FABO members
Intake & carb FABO members
Rear rims & tires as a thank you for helping a MoPar man in deep need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 118
The car was purchased as a shell. Born a /6'er.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 124
Now it is just going to be used to help school and have fun with the son in law. It will stay a spartan (90/10) S/S ride.
As time and money allow, I'll start getting fiberglass parts starting with the bumpers & hood.
I'll go crazy on weight savings. But my 21 YO son in law, well, that makes him nervous. I'll have to get another Duster.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 111
-
Back