78 Dodge Aspen

-
I had a think '78 or '79 Aspen back in the mid 80's. It was a 6 with a/c 4spd o/d on the floor. Pretty unique car.

there was a rust-free non-op aspen stripper wagon for sale on CL w/ a super-6 and an A833OD about 100 miles away from me. at the time, i had no room for it, or i would have snagged it.

here's a 1980 volare long roof with a 318 auto for sale for what appears to be a somewhat-reasonable price. the 1980's were cursed with that ugly ford fairmont-looking front end.

1980 Plymouth Volare
1980 Plymouth Volare - $3000
image 5 of 7
00s0s_cODTNYsuC50_600x450.jpg

00R0R_k7ahw8KIi4i_600x450.jpg

00B0B_4RJ8aN3fFFS_600x450.jpg

00m0m_dnBAskYhNfA_600x450.jpg

00T0T_fyuIuPQGauV_600x450.jpg

00303_8Pya1ZEq72N_600x450.jpg

01717_cdumS6ltCy_600x450.jpg

00s0s_cODTNYsuC50_50x50c.jpg
00R0R_k7ahw8KIi4i_50x50c.jpg
00B0B_4RJ8aN3fFFS_50x50c.jpg
00m0m_dnBAskYhNfA_50x50c.jpg
00T0T_fyuIuPQGauV_50x50c.jpg
00303_8Pya1ZEq72N_50x50c.jpg
01717_cdumS6ltCy_50x50c.jpg

1980 Plymouth Volare

VIN: HL 5GAF10144
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 43411
paint color: yellow
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: wagon

Last edited:
I like the square headlights.

F body wagons make great drag cars.
Light overall weight, but lots of room for wide tires and extra weight over them.

I like mine. They are inexpensive projects, unless a super coupe t top car! Don't spend $ of one expecting to sell and get your $$$ back! Sorta like most A bodies in general !!!

Did they make T top Super Coupes?

I thought for sure I had seen one several years ago, but I have never seen another one and I've heard from some folks I trust that the "never" made any.

IIRC all were red/brown as well.

Those wagons seem to be screaming for a 408 stroker to me. I really enjoyed my 318/833OD RT, but it was heavy and even with intake/carb/headers that motor struggled to move the mass.

I had a 79 aspen r/t got it in 83 black with gold tape that was a tough good car I trashed the snot out of it and it kept going ,rust got it in the end as it does all cars here .

Those wagons seem to be screaming for a 408 stroker to me. I really enjoyed my 318/833OD RT, but it was heavy and even with intake/carb/headers that motor struggled to move the mass.
It probably had a 2.87 rear gear. A 3.55 or so would make it scoot.

It probably had a 2.87 rear gear. A 3.55 or so would make it scoot.

Yeah, I didn't know much back then and didn't have any money to put into it to make it properly fast. Probably better that way, I got in enough trouble as it was.

I don't get the '318 struggling" comments we see here every now and then.

Not singling out the poster above, but any car (or truck) I've had with a 318 moves pretty good.

My brother had a 77 Warlock 4x4 with a 318 and it did just fine.
That's 4500 or more pounds to move.

I had a 66 poly 318 in a 80,000 mile 2.94 gear Coronet that would routinely trash mildly built, fresh 350 gm products with their factory 3.08 gears.

My current 73 satellite weighed 3700 and does just fine with it's bone stock (except for 2.25" duals) low comp, 2 barrel 318 and 2.76 gears.

A body and F body cars should be much easier to move.

Everyone has their own idea of fast. Not disparaging the 318, I've owned one or the other for most of my adult life. I'm sure the fact that that 85,000 mile motor blew smoke out the passenger side due to ring or other issues didn't help. But I don't consider those cars "fast".

Did you know they even made a Aspen Super Coupe Wagon ? I know it sounds dumb coupe/wagon . The dealer brochures had pictures with the stripes wheel flares and wheels. We never got one in.Never did see one in person.

By 1976 lets face it, the high performance muscle car era had closed. The E58 mopar 360 4 bbl engine back in that era was actually the fastest of them all, Corvette included! , but by standards of prior years NO not as fast. But still decent engine especially with right gear as always.
These F body cars were more looks than brawn, the stripes, the spoilers, wheel flares....mopar was trying to keep cars interesting an having some style. Like any make or model, the F body had it share of problems, but still a good looking, capable car. Rust issues of 76 was the bad part, till mopar went back to doing it right, yes after recalls, replacing rusted fenders and such. There some design flaws that tend to lend to some rusted out frame, so be aware! But all 40 odd yr old cars rust somewhere!
F bodies are inexpensive projects IF someone likes them. If not, better buy the model you like as it costs bout the same to work on any of them!!!!!

Did they make T top Super Coupes?

I thought for sure I had seen one several years ago, but I have never seen another one and I've heard from some folks I trust that the "never" made any.

IIRC all were red/brown as well.
Yes, a SC T top car is the Holy Grail to these guys!
Also, power and manual sunroof cars were made! I passed on a rusty on for $500 other day. Not a SC though.

I never said "fast", but I totally and completely disagree with "struggling".

They also made a "Sport Wagon" with stripes, flares, ground effects and special wheels that was not an SC.

I never said "fast", but I totally and completely disagree with "struggling".

They also made a "Sport Wagon" with stripes, flares, ground effects and special wheels that was not an SC.
A friend save Sport wagon. I bet it hasn't seen the light of day for 30 years.

318s had plwnty of GiddyUp ! Especially early ones.

I took a 74 Olds Delta in trade with only 40k miles .
It had a 350... What a DOG !
Put it to the floor and it just Groaned and Wheezed !

Makes a differenece as to compression and HP, lets say, a 69 engine versus a 79 engine!! rear gear gives the torque multiplication.
Everyone does not aspire to be a boy racer! I just like to cruise in something cool to me. After decades and 426 hemi, max wedge, 383, 440-6, 340 ,,, everything becomes relative.

We would get truck loads of front fenders to be replaced under warranty. At the time the dealership was selling about 80-100 Aspens a month.This was a small town dealership with 1 salesman 1 office worker 1 body man and 4 guys working as mechanics and new car prep.
One of the Aspens that sticks in my mind was a brown 318 3 speed floor shift manual steering radio delete wagon with dog dish caps. I thought it was cool, thinking what a Hot Rod it would make.

-
Back