7875 + 5.9 + E85 + Megasquirt

-
I’m about to throw in the towel on retaining the factory gas tank. Everything is just so tight that I’m afraid if the rear gets into any weird angles like turning up the grade into my neighborhood, there might be contact. It pains me to think about cutting up the trunk area any further and installing a fuel cell, but that might be the only path forward.

View attachment 1715990443 View attachment 1715990444
I don’t blame you one bit. There are some things I just don’t want to modify. A fuel tank in the trunk is one of them. Dare a call it a pet peeve of mine- a street car with a fuel cell in the trunk. Ugh-bugs the crap out of me.
At the end of the day it’s your car so do whatever and sometimes other modifications that are more important and require doing mods that aren’t favorable.

I’ve pretty much convinced myself the gas tank has to go. Without it, I can set the shocks in better positions and not compromise on that and avoid a bunch of extra mods. I can move the rear back a little and set the wheels a little more centered in the wells with better tire clearance. If I go with a fuel cell, I’d like it to be under the trunk floor which doesn’t seem to be that common. Decisions, decisions.

A mustang/falcon tank might be an option. They are perimeter bolted to the trunk floor.

Cut out the spare tire well and keep the fuel cell under a flat floor?

Also, I haven’t forgotten about the cam sync adapter. I’ll send it over this week.

Cut out the spare tire well and keep the fuel cell under a flat floor?

Also, I haven’t forgotten about the cam sync adapter. I’ll send it over this week.
That’s kind of what I’m thinking. I would need something shallow in depth. Rhodes has an aluminum fuel cell that is like 7” deep. 18-0117-17 Gallon Aluminum Fuel Cell

Back on the ground after a long time.
03770027-2646-4E9D-AB2A-1A0A4475EC8D.jpeg

1DD02554-9280-48DD-AF87-40C1BFE4DEFE.jpeg

3BE02071-03E2-4271-9A0A-3C8EE4AB0B1D.jpeg

2ABDF8E5-55AF-4FFE-B13F-A1FA77A457D3.jpeg

Trunk floor is gone. Started and pulled the car out of the garage for the first time since June. Have a ton of little details to work on now.

707EA320-D10C-44C3-8E35-F5FB90138185.jpeg

FBAC464F-526C-4869-8876-A582B24EEB9F.jpeg

0D165934-E2C1-43B6-B38E-16931527EBB3.jpeg

A5F20EBF-82F1-49F8-B2FD-39487B4A2A08.jpeg

A2E8BD85-9594-48C1-AC5C-C636D68F11B4.jpeg

2C746806-7239-408A-A534-CEF009387DFB.jpeg

748EDBB8-F9B1-4B0C-A6EF-B5B6E07E06A5.jpeg

That’s going to come out great! How much fuel does the new tank hold?

That’s going to come out great! How much fuel does the new tank hold?
This is the Rhodes 17 gallon I posted previously. They have a 25 gallon model that is a similar foot print but it’s 10” deep and I thought it would hang too low. This one is 7” deep and a little more stealthy. It has a sump but the really cool feature is that they sale a bolt in in-tank Fi module that will support up to 2x 450lph pumps. Room for growth.

Haven’t done anything yet to replace the trunk floor. I’m thinking either flat sheet metal, welded in or maybe a removable aluminum sheet secured with Dzuz screws.

Looks great! Keeping the stock fill location?

Edit: Just checked out rhodes, wish I would have known about their fuel pump hangers, I like those way more than the route I went.

Looks great! Keeping the stock fill location?

Edit: Just checked out rhodes, wish I would have known about their fuel pump hangers, I like those way more than the route I went.
Thanks! I added the filler neck in the stockish location. It’s an alum piece from Speedway.

Nice work. Not sure why it pains me to cut virgin sheetmetal, but then I do it and I think “why didn’t I do this years ago?” Your trunk floor and fuel set up look great.

Nice work. Not sure why it pains me to cut virgin sheetmetal, but then I do it and I think “why didn’t I do this years ago?” Your trunk floor and fuel set up look great.
“The first cut is the deepest…” and then it’s easy after that. :)

The MS3PRO has been great so far. I've had a couple of bugs and am still working thru the tune but it's getting closer. I burned probably 8 gallons of E85 just sitting in the driveway trying to get it to idle. I have my VE table, AFR, Timing table basically where I want it and have taken the car out for some lite-load cruising using the autotune feature of TunerStudio. It works great and within about 5 miles of driving the car is idling great, comes off idle and accelerates great, cruises close to my target AFRs. Hot and cold starts are immediate. This particular model has all kinds of bells and whistles I still need to enable and test before going "full tilt boogie". I wired up meth injection control yesterday. I'm using it as a simple on/off and not staged or ramped but even so it has granular tunability for when to enable it;
View attachment 1715642736
How many o2 does it use?

-
Back