79 dodge truck

-

snj60

79 dodge
Reaction score
Hello everyone i have got a lot of good tips from this site. So i guess it's time to jump in. Ok here is my ride 1979 dodge truck 318 d100 short bed 2wd auto. When i bought this truck it it all ready had 4bbl headers and large cam. Just put a tach in it 4000 rpm at 60 mph i new there was a reason why it was screaming for another gear at 55 mph.

Must have 4.56 or higher ratio gears in that thing! Welcome to FABO.

I don't think there that steep I have 255-70-15 tires. So may be it's a little lower. But whatever gear it is it wants 4th gear.

Must have 4.56 or higher ratio gears in that thing! Welcome to FABO.

Sounds about right with a little 255/70 tire........

If you plan on driving it more than a 1/4 mile at a time you better find a new gear for that truck

Welcome to FABO

Welcome to FABO!

Honestly with a 29" tire, you'd be geared in the 5's. Why someone would do that with a 318 powered truck is beyond me, unless it was for 1/8th mi racing or some type of pulling competition.

You need to jack'er up and find out exactly what gear you have by spinning the wheels 1 turn & counting the driveshaft revolutions. Search here or google for the process with & without a suregrip.

If that confirms a 3 or 4 series gear, i'd really look at your tach first.....hookup, etc. Other then that, I have to wonder what kind of shape the torque converter is in?

Welcome to the site "snj60" ! I've got a 79 Warlock myself . Definitely check to see what your running for gears . How about some pictures of that bad boy ?

-
Back