7AL by MSD

-

swingtown

master of the mech. thing
Reaction score
I just picked up a 7AL MSD box from a friend. can i run this on a daily driver or do you think i should buy a 6AL. i currently am a chrome box on my 69 340 swinger. let me know what you guys think. thanks for the help

I dont think it will last long on a driver. I have a 6AL if your interested in trading though.

NO! It will cause alot of problems. It is way to high of an out put system for a typical steet set up. If you want to unload it drop me a line. I am actually looking to get one for a race car that I am getting ready to start building.

The 6 series box is perfect for the street. However, the only real gain is in low RPM engines. The multi spark works well for power, torque and mileage on daily drivers. It has no real edge over the chome box. I have run both.
If your car is a street macine with a high stall, the MSD's low RPM range benifit is a moot point when driving.
Otherwise, for my daily drivers, the multi spark adds mileage.

NO NO NO with the right coil, like the 8251 a msd 7al will run everyday all day long on the street just fine. This is from msd tech and me cause I had one now for 18 months. The only problems you might have is the spark is so good if your wires are cheap or old it missfire more easy than the 6 box. I had a 6 box for 8 years and loved it but it had no rev limter so after look at the prices and seening the 7al was just $150 more plus a new coil which I needed anyways I went for it. Now I would never go back to a 6 box, motor starts right up every time and idles in gear cold even at 40 degress and I have a no choke holley hp 750 carb. The plugs stay nice and clean even thought the motor smokes a bit when started-bad valve seals. Did notice the plugs do wear out faster so I run a .040 gap no bigger. Its not over kill a msd 8 or 10 box would be but not a 7al. Stay away from the digital ones they overheat on the street and even the 6 digital which are made for the street can be very fussy how the wires run.

Yes those coils work fine too, just stay away from the drag racing coils like the pro power. I might add that on the cap and rotor make sure it has brass post, I use Accel on a Mopar dist. which has the lean burn pick up coil-those have no vacuum advance and are one piece. I feel vacuum advance is not worth it to set up, some have good luck with them but I just set the total timming at around 36-38 degress and forget about it. You want to run the lightest mech. advance springs to give the quickest advance with no ping. The lower the compression and the higher the rear end gears are-like 3.91-4.10 the quicker the advance can be without getting spark knock.

-
Back