Not open for further replies.

valiantpatrol

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Contact seller
Need 8 1/4 rear brake drums for "A" body. These are for a narrower shoe than other 8 1/4 11" braked cars. Local parts house did not even have a listing. Prefer NOS or NORS but will gladly accept good used. Even an old part number might help.

A-bodies with 8.25" rear ends came with 10" by 2.5" brakes not 11". The A-bodies with 8.75" rear ends came with 10" by 1.75" brakes.

You can use 11" by 2.5" brakes from a B body on an 8.25 if you swap the backing plates along with the brake hardware and drums. You would need new axles with the proper offset for the 2.5" brake to use 11" brakes on an 8.75" rear (not to mention the bigger bolt circle of the 11" drum).

If you're looking for the 11 X 2 rear drums, they only came on low end '65-75 C-bodies and '65-71 1/2 ton pickup trucks. The part number has been superceded through the years but here are some of the factory numbers. 3004746; 3004932; 3549843; and 3780526. There were 3 different manufacturers so try to get them in pairs as they have different heat disappation characteristics and might have a tendency to pull to one side when hot, if you mix them.

DGC333 until I saw this car I would have believed the facts you quoted were not just correct, but absolute. I was as surprised as you to find an 11" rear drum on a customers '74 Dart Swinger 318 2bbl. I'd swear that these have been adapted on except this is an elderly persons car with known history from new. Cudamark thanks for the part numbers. If knowledgeable folks haven't heard, or seen these before, I'm not feeling to good about my odds of finding them. Can no one save me from this pit of despair??????? with a like new pair???? of drums

i have seen 2 other 8 1/4 and 1 7 1/4 abodies with these and one 66 c body. almost identical setups. very hard to find brake parts for

I would determine the drum size from the casting on the onside of the drum,then determine the shoe size (2,2.5,3"). then figure out which cars had what drum types that will interchange.

I have a 74 Duster w 8-1/4 rear and it has 11" x 2" rear brakes. I saw a question in Mopar 'Action or Muscle magazine about that and in 74 there was shortage of regular duster size brakes and they substituted the 11 x 2 from Satellite. I got set of brake shoes at my auto parts store for 74 Satellite. My drums were ok with turn so don't know the part number for those.

The 8 1/4 in my Valiant is out of a 76 Duster. It has 11X2 inch brakes. I bought drums and shoes for it about six years ago. I will check to see if I have the reciepts still.

Brake Shoes are 334 (Raybestos 334PG).
Brake Drum is 2955

there was an argument on the slant six forum not too long ago about a bodies coming with these brakes. the guys there insisted the ones i had seen must have been changed for whatever reason.

Revhendo thanks for the part numbers. Jamesdart hard to argue with this example, original owner since new and no mods guarenteed - just routine maintenance. Looking at the several others who responded and have them on their cars it would seem that those who argued against their use on "a" bodies are mistaken on the slant "6" forum. Over the years I've learned to never say never with regard to Ma Mopar. As the article 3406pk refenced, I think the factories did a lot of substituting to keep the line moving. Thanks for all the information FABO members.

yeah i seriously doubt they threw parts away just because they were a few years old. at some point im sur esome supervisor made the cal to use it if they have it. im not 100% sure about the ones that i have seen to be original, but the rest of the cars werent modified, and all came from older original owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back