8 1/4 axle specs??

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Talked to Moser Engineering today. They quoted me $235 for custom cut, non tapered axles for.

Problem is, I need a boat load of specs, and I my rear end is still car intact under the car (for now). Has anyone had a set custom cut?

Just trying to cut down on research time, if anyone has some of the axle specs.

'75 8.25" A body.

Thanks

go to my forum I have lots of differential info posted

addy is in my signature

Well, after much research, I think I'm going to retain my stock axles. I really doubt I would be snapping them with BFG radials on the car.

HOWEVER - I am going to take that axle money and put it into a locker (I think the MP suregrip would really be my weak link).

I am also thinking about a Moser aluminum driveshaft setup. Anyone know if these are durable enough for constant daily use? I know Ford was putting aluminum shafts on the Lightnings, and they would either throw them or the caps would wallow out. I have also seen new QC Rams in need of Ujoints (also an aluminum shaft). Just makes me second guess the idea.

Ya some imports have aluminum shafts too and they have problems too so I would pass on the shaft.In my opinion I'd pass on the locker too.The suregrip is a good unit and if you arent genersting enuff power to worry about twisting an 8 1/4 axle then I don't think you could hurt the suregrip either. Suregrip is all I have ever ran and I never had a problem with any of them...come to think about it I dont know anyone who has had trouble with a suregrip

Sweet....that's good news for me. :salut:

Guess I can just throw that money at the battery trunk kit, new starter & steering conversion.

All good info because I was thinking about keeping my 8 1/4 and just putting a suregrip in it as well. Thanks for the info guys :thumbsup:

Listen guys....I am new to the A bodies and have had a ton of questions. I get on with you guys and find a hell of alot. I have a pretty stout 340 in my 73 Dart and was thinking about trashing the 8 1/4 and going with the 8 3/4. So I watched the video and saw you hammer the Cuda. I have a 4 sp car......you think I should stay with it??? If i was to go with the 8 3/4, what dimensions should the 8 3/4 be from flange to flange? I want to make sure that I am getting the right one!!

The B-Body from 1962-1970 is close with a flange to flange measurement of 55", and 44" spring perch center to center

I've been talking to more of the racers in my club. They DEFINATELY think I should stay with 8 1/4 (and 904). Cheaper, lighter, less rotating weight than an 8 3/4.

Also - isn't the 8 1/4 the ONLY rear axle Dodge put under it's RWD cars after the 8 3/4 was discontinued? If so, that means it was in untold millions of police cars. Not high horsepower, but still a VERY hard life.

It's just a matter of buying parts now, as far as I'm concerned.

I put the rear out of a 74 dart sport under my 66 cuda - and the front disc's for that matter!

I have an 8-1/4 in my Duster. I've already blown up an Auburn Sure-Grip, I've got a Dana Trac-Loc in there now and that one seems to be holding up pretty good. But the axles tubes are starting to twist, so sooner or later (hopefully later) this rear is gonna blow up and I'll have to replace it with an 8-3/4 or a 9".

superdart said:
I've been talking to more of the racers in my club. They DEFINATELY think I should stay with 8 1/4 (and 904). Cheaper, lighter, less rotating weight than an 8 3/4.

FWIW, an 8.25 actually weights more than a 8.75.

I'd stick with the 8.25 if you're looking at mainly street use and under 400hp. It can handle some track abuse too. I still have my original 8.25 suregrip in my Duster but it only has 95,*** miles on the car. It's a mildly built 340-4spd-4.10 setup probably with about 350-360hp. I did replace the axles due to some wear & tear and had a new 3" driveshaft made with stronger 7260 race u-joints.

Good used axles cost me $15 each from a junkyard. :laughing:

New custom driveshaft was $220. The factory driveshaft looked pretty flimsy up close compared to my new one.

-
Back