8 1/4 diff

-

NoahSewal

Reaction score
my stock 8 1/4 rear in my 1974 dart swinger 318 is a 2.74 gear. what spline diff came from the factory? 27 or 29? i want to throw posi in it but im not sure what spline it is.

I haven’t heard that, I really don’t know.

The only one I know that would not and not be a FABO member would be Dr. Diff.

from what i understand the whole housing is unusable because the pinion is in a different spot to compensate for the smaller gear? is this not correct?
I think the carrier is all that's necessary to swap out. That's the first I've heard of the housing having to be swapped.

Somewhere in the drivetrain forum there is a lengthy thread on this. Several members did the swap with the original housing going from 2.45 to whatever they wished. Search it and read up. Just make sure you use the right gears with the right carrier

That's what I thought yall. Thanks for confirming this, as I've never done and carrier swapping on the 8 1/4, so I didn't know for sure. Good info.

My car was a factory 2.45 gearing. I swapped in a 3.55 set of gears from a 2004 V6 Dakota and a Dana Trac-Loc from a 2001 Durango R/T (29 Splice, so I ordered a set of custom axles from Dr. Diff). Everything was perfect....been running for years.

-
Back