8 1/4" differential

-

V-100

Valiant lover(?)
Reaction score
Found an '80 or '81 LeBaron with an 8 1/4" axle in a yard. I have heard that the 2.45 and 2.2 gear-ratio rear ends had a slightly different/unique center portion of the axle from the 2.76 & up had on them. Not having much experience with these rear ends and cramped work space (low light), I could not positively ID the ratio until I pulled out the diff...2.2 ratio
Here is my question- is it possible to strip off the ring gear, swap on a 3.21 ring gear from a rear I possess, & use this sure-grip diff in my rear end? Or is this just an all-around fiasco:eye:?
Experience and knowledge appreciated

I believe you have to keep the carriers matched with the gears. In other words, your 3.21 gear has to stay with your 3.21 carrier.....you can't use the 2.2 carrier.....and vice versa. As a whole assembly, you should be able to swap them.

You can use a used ring gear on a different used or new carrier without any problems but the ring gear needs to be used with the original matching pinion gear (because of wear patterns).

You are right on the different carriers. The 8.25 rear uses a different carrier for the lower gears up to 2.76 and another carrier for any gears that are steeper than that.

So if you want to switch the gears from a 2.44 to a 3.23 or 3.73 you'll have to source another carrier since the one from your 2.44 will not except those higher ratio ring gears.

What if you have a 3.21 carrier? Can you upgrade to 3.55's?

It should work, but you need to put the guts in it. It would probably be cheaper to drop $250-300 on a complete new unit.

Just be sure whatever you buy it's a 27 spline unit if you want it to be drop in. I used a 29 spline unit for a Durango R/T and ordered custom axles for it from Dr.Diff.

-
Back