8 1/4 durability????????????????

-

mopowermatt

mopowermatt
Reaction score
how long does the 8 1/4 last I am building a 64 dart with a maybe..... 350 -400 horse motor. would it be a waste of time if I put the 8 1/4 in it.

would it be a waste of time if I put the 8 1/4 in it.
For what you want to do, in the long run, swap it out for at least an 8-3/4 or order a new DANA 60 from Strange.

good article thanks, I think I am going to get the 8 1/4 with some type of posi. and use that until I break it. Will it be dangerous when it breaks or will I just hear a thud.

I found some guy near L A and he's going to sell me an 8 3/4 with 3.91's and a suregrip complete for 900. I told him SSSSOOLLLDDD I'll be there on monday

-matt

If I had to do it all over again, I would have picked up a 8.8" ford from a Ranger. I could have built it up much cheaper than my 8-3/4 as the 8.8 is real popular with the mustang set. I am not a fan of crossbreeding cars but I spent a lot of coin on my 8-3/4 and it would not be any stronger than an 8.8 ford for the money. Just my 2c

I'm not big at cross-breeding either, but I've seen metion of the 8.8 Ford out of a Ranger a couple of times. Asked a Blue Oval buddy, and he looked at me kinda strange. His comment was the axels are offset, and thought this was not an 8.8. He asked why the 8.8 out of a Mustang wouldn't be a better avenue? They have posi's tons of after-market stuff, and aren't hard to come by. 5 lug axles being one of them. So...what are the reasons these aren't considered?
Mac

i though i may highjack this thread alitle now that it has been cold for a wile
my question is about 81/4" ring and pinion stuff
i have been looking around some for 4.10:1 gears for my rear and i have found mark williams and richmond wich one do you gusy think is the best choise for a streetcar? i want a ring and pinion that will last on the steet and take the abuse when i do some racing on sticky tires...

Richmond seems to have a good reputation around here, they seem to hold up pretty well for drag racing and i know of quite a few street cars running them. Ive never heard anything bad about them.

Are the axles in the 8.8 from a mustang not offset? It might be a dumb question but you made it seem like they arent.

-
Back