8 1/4 identification

-

scottylack

Reaction score
this guy has a 73 Dart ...selling off as parts. He doesnt know if its an 8 1/4 rear...did they make other rears for this year? How can I tell by looking under the car if its a 8 1/4 ?

how do you tell them apart...?
Housing tube sizes,the 7 1/4 will be smaller and I believe the back cover..7 1/4(9 bolts)8 1/4 has 10 bolts.I could be wrong,its been awhile.Yes the 8 1/4 has 10 bolts,heres a pic of a s.g 8 1/4

Picture 011.jpg

8 1/4" has 10 bolts in the cover, 7 1/4" has 9. The 7 1/4" also has 2 1/2" axle tubes with 3" ends. There will be a noticeable step where the axle tube meets the axle end.

8 1/4 has ten bolt cover, and cover is almost "round" 7 1/4 has oblong cover. Also 7 1/4 had smaller axle tubes where the 8 1/4 had 3 inch tubes.

Can anybody confirm my diff as an 8.25? I apologize for cutting the top off but it does have the ten bolts just confused about the shape of the cover. All the info and pics show the cover as more round than this mine is straight on the sides. I just ordered a bearing kit but now I'm 2nd guessing what diff I have

HPIM4675.jpg

are you sure it has 10 bolts. heres a chart that will show you what they all look like.
I've got that pic and the factory service manuals what is confusing me is that on my cover the bolt pattern is the same top & bottom(if the carrier was out it looks like you could flip the cover over and bolt it on). My appraiser claimed it as an 8.25 as well. I don't have the car out yet to get under it but the pics I have are from when I bought it, I have counted the bolt 3 times and it definetly has 10. The other confusing part is the axle flanges have the holes in the to access the flange bolts that are known to the 7.25 but I can't remember what it looks like behind the axles. The car is an original V-8 car as well so I thought it would be an 8.25 for sure. I apologize for the dumb sounding ?'s but I thought I had it figured out and just ordered the diff bearing kit on Friday planing to get the car out & ready, then I see all these pics & posts that have me 2nd guessing now.

-
Back