8-1/4" lock right locker?

-
Not in an 8.25, but yup. Works just like a detroit locker. Straight line accel, both axles are locked together like a spool. When you go around a turn, the differential unlocks and allows the outside axle to turn faster, basically becoming an open rear on turns......UNLESS you go through the turn under a lot of power. Then they stay locked. That's not too fun on icy roads. But the units work WELL.

I am speaking from experience here……

I have used one. In my opinion they are a poor option for a regularly driven street car.

They can bang or pop. They can give a weird feeling from the rear, like rear steering.

They are like an on off switch. They do not have a smooth transition like a conventional limited slip differential.

Lock Rights are best suited for getting your "Wheelin" rig out to the mud roads and back.

I have used one. In my opinion they are a poor option for a regularly driven street car.

They can bank or pop. They can give a weird feeling from the rear, like rear steering.

They are like an on off switch. They do not have a smooth transition like a conventional limited slip differential.

Lock Lights are best suited for getting your "Wheelin" rig out to the mud roads and back.

If we're talking about something that "unlocks" like I remember a Detroit Locker, I agree. Friend of mine used to have on in the rear of his (then new) 70 Chev 3/4 4x4. That thing would "pop" around a corner and MOVE the truck. I always thought it would break something, but it never did. Very "rough" on the street.

They can bank or pop. They can give a weird feeling from the rear, like rear steering.

Lock Lights are best suited for getting your "Wheelin" rig out to the mud roads and back.

I would have to agree, my buddy had a detroit locker in his cougar eliminator, and it made a weird pop when it disengaged.

I've got one in my 8-3/4 rear end. If you don't mind the clicking sound around slow cornering. No big deal for me.

-
Back