8 1/4 question

-

eestatic

Reaction score
I seem to recall this before, but are the brake back plates interchangeable between a 7 1/4 and an 8 1/4 axle of the same year? (A-body, 1974 Dodge Dart)

Also, where would one go to find different gears for an 8 1/4?

I'm looking at an 8 1/4 w/2:76 gears according to owner and was pondering a 3:21 setup if I ran across some decent gears.

Thanks as always

Look for 96 and older jeep grand Cherokee. It would have better gear and maybe a limited slip. If it has a rear disc setup, even better! Those disc are a bolt in setup.

Is there some data here with spring perch width, overall width, ect of the Jeeps? [Early A comparatives]

I have 1965 Barracuda that is the destination for upgrades

As far as I know, the 10 inch backing plates are interchangeable.
There was a set of Richmond 355 gears for sale here. I don't know if they fit the same carrier you now have at 276 gear.
Beware the rear disc brakes. Some have went to much trouble to get it all bolted in and found their wheels wouldn't fix over those brakes.
Good luck

Are all 8 1/4 gears interchangeable within A-body, B-body, ect...housings?

I seem to recall that some diff cases with 2.76 gears were a little different and I don't know if that was gear carrier or that sure-grip wouldn't fit. Other than that 3.23 and lower ratios work from any 8.25. Dodge Dakota trucks often had them and some had limited slip. I put limited slip and 3.55 gears in my 8.25 and had to get specific bearing kit that had the correct outer races for the ring gear carrier. There are 2 size of OD bearing caps in the diff case for ring gear carrier.

The smallest gear that came in the A bodys 8 1/4 was the 2.45 and if so the carrier will only fit 2.45 gears and to go bigger you will need a carrier that had a larger gear.

So if carrier has a 2:76, will a 3:21 fit then, or is it specific for each original ratio?

What's the going price for an 8 1/4 sure grip unit, (old),new in box?

Used?

You can buy a new Dana style sure grip from mopar performance right now for about $325, you can find the same unit w/o the Mopar Performance name for a bit less around $300. Yje aurborn style cost more unless they are used like this one for $219
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-8-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item338375a8d8&vxp=mtr
The Dana style used cost about the same but you need a 27 spline ans most used ones on ebay are 29 spline.
here is a new dana with free shipping for $300
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-8-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item338375a8d8&vxp=mtr

-
Back