8 1/4 rear end question ????

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I talked to the guys at Wilwood today and was asking if they had a set-up
for rear disc brakes for a 8 1/4 rear end.This is what he told me and Im not sure of every thing but it kinda went like this. If my 8 1/4 has Dana 60 flanges they have a kit for it but I would have to change to the "green stripe axle bearing" Thats where he lost me !!! This is going on my sons 73 Duster Could anybody explain this to me in terms that a BIG DUMMY can undestand.He made it sound like all we would have to do is change out the axle bearing because it has something to do with the off set. Am I even close to getting this. Im sure some body out there can help me out...

Thanks, Bob

Don't know what the Wilwood guy was talking about but if you want rear disks you can use parts from a Jeep Cherokee, they have 8.25 axles.

FWIW, 80% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. You will get much bigger bang for your buck if you upgrade the front brakes.

Dave, thanks for your reply oh yea the fronts are a definate upgrade,Wilwood has what we need for that,we want front and rear discs

Bob

The green bearings are a part that replaces the stock items in the axle tube or at there ends as it may be for a non-adjustable set of bearings.

I also have no clue about the upgrade and words from the willwood guy. I'd like to know what is involved myself.
A junkyard crawl should turn up what you need like Dave said. Good idea Dave.

I believe they want you to convert to the green bearing to get rid of the "C" clips. "C" clip axles have some in and out movement of the axles and being Wilwood calipers are solid mount and not floating calipers like stock ones it can cause problems.

Chuck

-
Back