8 1/4 rear end swap

-

PDDart

Reaction score
Hi, I recently acquired a 71 dart with 318, front discs, small bolt pattern and 7 1/4 rear end. Ideally, I would like an 8 3/4 rear end but realize they are hard to come by and pricey. So, I'm set on getting an 8 1/4 but since they were used in so many early and late model Mopars, I don't know which one to get. I would like to find one that would require little to no installation modifications. I also need it to be large bolt pattern. Additionally, what's needed in converting to large pattern on the front? Just spindles and rotors???

Thanks

Got mine out of a 74 V8 Dart. As for the front I used tubular upper control arms, and spindals and rotors from an 88 gran fury.

Welcome to FABO, you need a 8 1/4'' rear end out of a '73 to '76 a body.
Take the rear end with the brakes, u bolts, and shock plates.
The drive shaft is longer on the small rear end you have, so it needs to be shortened or a drive shaft from the parts car might be the right one, as long as the transmission and the body style is the same.
As for the disc brakes, the car you remove the rear end out of would have all you need if still there.
I would take the upper control arms, spindles, calipers, caliper mounts, rotors, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. Inspect the parts and rebuild whatever is worn out of spec.

Thanks Dartnut for welcoming me aboard and as well as your detailed response! Thanks to Jaws as well!

I was afraid you'd recommend a mid 70's A-body. I understand that would be the easiest swap but they're just not as readily available around here. I was hoping some of the late model Mopars would be an easy swap. Given that I just had my current driveline straightened and balanced (it gave off vibrations that would make any date night a success) maybe I can hold out a while longer for a mid 70's Mopar donor. I'm just a little anxious to get a nice aftermarket mag wheel and the small bolt pattern doesn't give me many options.

-
Back