8 1/4 rear with 2.25 gears.

-

GDL

Reaction score
Someone please tell me that this rear end isn't the funny one and can have 3.23ish gears put in?

I've heard that the 2.45 8 1/4 rears used unique cases.

Is it a 2.25 or a 2.45?? IIRC, all the 2.45 and higher (numerically) all used the same carrier. Not so sure if it is a 2.25 though.

I did the chalk on the wheel test and the pinion turned 2 1/4 times so yea kinda thinking I'm boned here.

ok here you go.

the housings are the same (lengths vary)
for 2.71 and lower (numerically) they use one carrier
2.76 and up (numerically) use the other carrier

they made a 2.25 ?? new to me.. must go 50 mph at idle....

Well, it came out of a '73 4 door dart supposedly numbers matching. I did the watch the pinion/ chalk on the tire trick and it came out to 2.25 turns multiple times. (confused me a bit).

Anyone know something I don't?

I think you gotta hold one axle solid while you spin the pinion. So maybe you have a better ratio then you think.

I think you gotta hold one axle solid while you spin the pinion. So maybe you have a better ratio then you think.

on a locker/sure grip rear you spin the tires one revolution and see the number of pinion turns

on a one legger you need to lift or block one wheel, and spin the tire (one tire) 2 TURNS, then watch pinion to get ratio.

stock 8.25's came with 3.21 gears in a bodies

Well the gears are in fact 2.45s.......... Lame I know. I do however have a junk rear end with 2.94 gears in it. So I guess I'll be hauling it back in the garage.

Should I leave it whole? The little remaining oil has a green tinge to it. Or just yank the carrier, ring and pinion?

I just read on "dippy.org" that a 2.26 gear was actually made. Late M body. Can you imagine that. Bonneville here we come!

-
Back