8 1/4 rehash?

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
So to run 3:55 gears in an 8 1/4 I need a carrier that came in what ratio range? Will the pre 97 27 spline carrier work with stock 69-76 8 1/4 A body axles? Does a Dana 44 carrier fit the 8 1/4?
I know I've seen this answered in here but I'm going blind searching!!:read2:

Belden

*I Think so* I am preety sure of this. Splin count is different. up or down 2 splines on the count IIRC. Also, the ring gear. Theres something in my head sounding the bells off. I can't remember, er-urg, (Bangs head on key board ....&%&(^%^%(().......)

again . *I Think* the newer rears have something to do about the anti lock up. A ring?

From what I remember, you can use a newer sure grip section in an older rear.

However, someone just posted a 8-1/4 rear for sale for $200 today or yesterday.

The split for carrier ratios is 2.45 so you need a carrier for a higher numberic ratio than 2.45.

All the carriers will fit in all housings.

I have no idea if a Dana 44 carrier will fit an 8.25 but I wouldn't expect them to be internchangeable.

That would be great but I'm trying to use this gear set I've been tripping over in the garage for a few years now. I know one of my 8 1/4s is a 2.45 I'll have to check the other two.... I don't suppose there are spiders you can use in the later model carriers for the early axles?

You'll need a different carrier since the 2,45 is different than the rest I believe.

Yeah I'm hoping at least one of the other cars has 2.76 or similar...

On the broadcast sheet is the number under "axle" the ratio or a code I have to look up? What are the ratio options on an 8 1/4 A body? Broadcast sheet says 316...

I think the gear options were 3.23, 2.94, 2.76 and 2.45 in the cars.

I know 3.55s were available in the truck 8.25s back then, but not sure about cars. I've got a 3.55 & suregrip carrier out of a 2004 Dakota 3.7L. I'm going to put it in the Dart, but I need to have Moser cut me a new set of axles first.

-
Back